Jonathan advises clients across a number of industries on M&A, corporate collaborations and joint ventures, technology (including cloud-based service, licensing and commercialization agreements for digital Industrial applications), and general commercial matters. His experience includes the negotiation of acquisition, project and related agreements in the energy and resource sector.
- Represented a public income fund in connection with its investment and participation in a $365 million crude oil refining facility.
- Part of an international team tasked with co-ordinating, implementing and advising on the due diligence, regulatory approvals and pre-closing transactions associated with the US$24 billion merger of two international oilfield service companies.
- Lead role in supporting sale of the Canadian operations of a North American financial services business (in connection with the US$31 billion sale of that North American business).
- Counsel to a Canadian oil services company on the sale of substantially all of its assets for $47 million.
- Counsel to an Alberta-based oilfield services company on the sale of its U.S. subsidiary for US$63 million.
- Counsel to private capital groups in connection with their acquisitions and divestures of investments in businesses in various industries.
- Lead counsel in the structuring of a major Alberta-based innovation centre focused on improving the industrial innovation ecosystem and digitization of industrial operations; Legal adviser to the innovation centre in connection with its Canadian projects, collaborations, pilots and digital initiatives.
- Legal lead on several new product development and commercialization initiatives, including the development and commercialization of a cloud-based pipeline leak detection control room application.
Jonathan rejoined the firm in 2018 after spending more than six years as senior in-house counsel with a global conglomerate. He has experience, both in-house and as external counsel, advising executive management teams on compliance and legal matters in a range of industries including energy and resources, aviation, health care, food processing, manufacturing, technology and financial services.
Jonathan also has experience working with cross-functional teams, conducting operational deep-dives, providing related gap assessment reporting, and leading compliance oversight and implementation of corporate policies and training.
- Volunteer Youth Mentor (to Calgary Aboriginal junior high school students), Dare to Dream program, LEVEL
- Volunteer Commercial Counsel Mentor, international African lawyer mentoring program
- Assistant Coach, Girls’ Hockey Calgary