Jonathan advises clients across a number of industries on M&A, corporate collaborations and joint ventures, technology (including cloud-based service, licensing and commercialization agreements for digital Industrial applications), and general commercial matters. His experience includes the negotiation of acquisition, project and related agreements in the energy and resource sector.
- Lead relationship partner in connection with our community sponsorship of Zone Startup Calgary and related mentoring activities.
- Counsel to a multi-national client in connection with investment in, and structuring of, a local Alberta-based innovation centre focused on improving the industrial innovation ecosystem and digitization of industrial operations.
- Legal adviser to the above innovation centre in connection with its Canadian projects, collaborations, pilots and digital initiatives, including several new product development and commercialization initiatives.
- Ongoing counsel to various startup and emerging growth businesses in a variety of capacities, including under external general counsel arrangements, in connection with pre-commercialization and commercialization matters relating to their technology and intellectual property, and other matters tied to startup activities and growth.
- Counsel to several private capital groups in connection with their acquisitions and divestures of investments in businesses in various industries in Western Canada.
- Counsel to a minority investor and off-taker in connection with its investment and participation in a $365 million crude oil refining facility.
- Part of an international team tasked with co-ordinating, implementing and advising on the due diligence, regulatory approvals and pre-closing transactions associated with the US$24 billion merger of two international oilfield service companies.
- Lead role in supporting sale of the Canadian operations of a North American financial services business (in connection with the US$31 billion sale of that North American business).
- Counsel to a Canadian oil services company on the sale of substantially all of its assets for $47 million.
- Counsel to an Alberta-based oilfield services company on the sale of its U.S. subsidiary for US$63 million.
Jonathan is member of our Calgary Commercial Group, and advises clients in connection with M&A, major projects, technology (including cloud-based service, licensing and commercialization agreements for digital Industrial applications), and general commercial matters. He has extensive experience collaborating with incubators and accelerators that support emerging growth companies in Western Canada, and working with emerging growth companies at all stages of their life cycle.
Jonathan rejoined the firm in 2018 after spending more than six years as senior in-house counsel with a global conglomerate. He has experience, both in-house and as external counsel, advising executive management teams on M&A, compliance, innovation and commercial legal matters in a range of industries including energy and resources, aviation, health care, food processing, manufacturing, technology and financial services.
- Volunteer Youth Mentor (to Calgary Aboriginal junior high school students), Dare to Dream program, LEVEL
- Volunteer Commercial Counsel Mentor, international African lawyer mentoring program
- Assistant Coach, Girls’ Hockey Calgary