Jonathan advises clients across a number of industries on general commercial matters and in connection with M&A, corporate reorganizations, projects and financing transactions. His experience extends to the innovation ecosystem, advising in connection with technology collaborations, industrial cloud-based services, and commercialization agreements for Digital Industrial applications.
- Represented a public income fund in connection with its investment and participation in a $365 million crude oil refining facility.
- Part of an international team tasked with co-ordinating, implementing and advising on the due diligence, regulatory approvals and pre-closing transactions associated with the US$24 billion merger of two international oilfield service companies.
- Lead role in supporting sale of the Canadian operations of a North American financial services business (in connection with the US$31 billion sale of that North American business).
- Counsel to a Canadian oil services company on the sale of substantially all of its assets for $47 million.
- Counsel to an Alberta-based oilfield services company on the sale of its U.S. subsidiary for US$63 million.
- Counsel to private capital groups in connection with their acquisitions and divestures of investments in businesses in various industries.
- Lead counsel in the structuring of a major Alberta-based innovation centre focused on improving the industrial innovation ecosystem and digitization of industrial operations; Legal adviser to the innovation centre in connection with its Canadian projects, collaborations, pilots and digital initiatives.
- Legal lead on several new product development and commercialization initiatives, including the development and commercialization of a cloud-based pipeline leak detection control room application.
Jonathan rejoins the firm after spending more than six years as senior in-house counsel with global conglomerate. He has experience, both in-house and as external counsel, advising executive management teams on compliance and legal matters in a range of industries including power, oil and gas, renewable energy, aviation, health care, food processing, manufacturing, technology and financial services. Jonathan’s experience includes complex projects, joint ventures, M&A, corporate reorganizations and financing transactions in both the private and public company context; structuring and negotiation of development, collaboration, cloud-based service, license and commercialization agreements for digital Industrial applications; and negotiation of major services, procurement and supply chain arrangements.
Jonathan also has experience working with cross-functional teams, conducting operational deep-dives, providing related gap assessment reporting, and leading compliance oversight and implementation of corporate policies and training.
- Volunteer Youth Mentor (to Calgary Aboriginal junior high school students), Dare to Dream program, LEVEL
- Volunteer Commercial Counsel Mentor, international African lawyer mentoring program
- Assistant Coach, Girls’ Hockey Calgary