Maria practises in corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on banking and commercial lending, commercial real estate, and corporate immigration and cross-border transactions.
Maria believes communication with clients is fundamental, allowing her to understand their unique needs and provide creative and practical legal solutions in a timely, diligent and cost-effective manner.
Her experience extends to the following practice areas:
- Corporate/Commercial – organizing, structuring and restructuring businesses; mergers and acquisitions, including the purchase and sale of businesses; drafting, reviewing and advising on contracts, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements
- Corporate Immigration – obtaining work permits and labour market opinions for corporate clients, including intra-company transfers, NAFTA work permits, business visitors for senior executives, managers and professionals
- Commercial Real Estate – acting for purchasers, vendors, lenders, contractors, landlord and tenants
- Associate Lawyer, Fillmore Riley LLP (2011-2017)
- Articling Student, Fillmore Riley LLP (2010-2011)
- Merger of Rubicon Pharmacies Canada and Amenity Holdings Inc.
- Executive Officer, Manitoba Bar Association, Real Property Sub-Section
- Co-Chair, Manitoba Bar Association, Securities Sub-Section
- Vice-Chair, Manitoba Bar Association, Immigration Sub-Section
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Christian Legal Fellowship
- Presenter, “Business Acquisitions,” Entrepreneurship Manitoba, Business Settlement Office (Winnipeg, 2014)
- Presenter, “Business Law Introduction,” YMCA / YWCA Business Training Centre (Winnipeg, 2013)
- Presenter, “Employer Compliance and Ethics: Hiring a Temporary Foreign Worker in Occupations Requiring Lower Levels of Training,” Immigration and Employer Compliance: A New Era For Employer Liability Conference (Winnipeg, 2012)