Matt practises in the area of corporate commercial law with a focus on innovation, data and technology.
Matt advises corporate clients on privacy related issues with particular focus on access to information requests. He has experience developing document retention schedules and related policies for organizations. His work in privacy includes dealing with regulatory requirements under financial institution legislation, conducting Privacy Impact Assessments, confirmation of IP ownership agreements, and drafting various licensing agreements. He advises clients from a broad range of industries including health care, agriculture and financial institutions.
Prior to joining MLT Aikins, Matt completed his articles at the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal where he did a clerkship. He spent a month on secondment at the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
- Associate counsel to uranium miner on commercial contracts
- Associate counsel to potash miner on commercial contracts
- Advised numerous clients in the mining, agriculture and financial services sectors on document retention schedules and related policies
- Advised government institutions and municipalities on responding to Access to Information requests
- Associate counsel to various credit unions on digital transformation initiatives, including the acquisition, implementation and sustainment of online and mobile banking applications
- Advised numerous clients on IT outsourcing service agreements
- Chair, Privacy & Access Law South Section, Canadian Bar Association (present)
- Board member, Regina Trades and Skills Centre (present)
- College of Law Upper-Year Juris Doctor Academic Achievement Scholarship for academic performance (2015)
- College of Law Upper-Year Juris Doctor Academic Achievement Scholarship for academic performance (2016)
- PE Mackenzie Prize in Evidence for academic performance in Evidence Law (2017)
- Complementary Canadian Bar Association Membership from the College of Law as one of ten deserving students selected