Michael practises in the field of taxation, including personal and corporate tax planning, corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, tax efficient business structuring, business succession planning, use of trusts and estate planning.
- Co-Chair, Winnipeg Youth Practitioners Group, Canadian Tax Foundation
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Donald and Geraldine Beam Award (2009)
- Canadian Tax Foundation Fasken Martineau DuMoulin Award (2009)
- Dean’s Honour List, Faculty of Arts (2003)
- University of Manitoba Employees Scholarship (2000-2004)
- University of Manitoba Entrance Scholarship (2000)
- Counsel to The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company in connection with its $875 million acquisition of Western Financial Group
- Tax counsel to Exchange Income Corporation in multiple acquisitions, including its $250 million acquisition of Provincial Aerospace Ltd., its $85 million acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Quest Window Systems Inc., and its $55 million acquisition of CanLink Global Inc.
- Tax counsel to Artis Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with over $1 billion of public offerings of trust units, preferred trust units, rated unsecured debentures and convertible debentures.
- Tax counsel to Decisive Dividend Corporation in connection with multiple acquisitions.
- Counsel to numerous private corporations with respect to mergers, acquisitions, business structuring and tax planning.
- Tax and corporate counsel to professionals, high net worth individuals and professional athletes with respect to acquisitions and divestitures of businesses, compensation structuring, business structuring and tax planning.