Rangi has broad environmental law experience and advises proponents on federal and provincial environmental assessments, fisheries, water, permitting, and contaminated sites issues.
Rangi practises in the areas of environmental, energy and Aboriginal law, including corporate social responsibility. He has advised proponents extensively on permitting for industrial projects, including mining projects, and in project decommissioning.
Rangi advises clients on regulatory issues in de-regulated and regulated natural gas and electricity industries. He has also acted in general rate applications and hearings for the approval of power plants, market rule objections, transmission lines, oil facilities and other regulatory matters.
Rangi has appeared extensively before courts and administrative tribunals including the Alberta Utilities Commission, Energy Resources Conservation Board, the Alberta Environmental Appeals Board, the Northwest Territories’ Public Utilities Board, National Energy Board, Joint Review Panels, Agri-food Appeal Board, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Alberta Court of Appeal, the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada.
He has advised both resource companies and Aboriginal communities extensively on impact benefit and related agreements. He has also advised clients on large commercial transactions with respect to environmental and Aboriginal related matters.
Rangi also advises Aboriginal communities and industry on environmental, land, resource, constitutional rights and jurisdictional matters. He has litigated specific claims before applicable tribunals.
- Presenter, Doing Business with the First Nations, Law Society of Saskatchewan (2016)
- “Engaging Aboriginal Peoples,” Fifth Annual Saskatchewan Mining Conference (Saskatoon, 2015)
- “Resource Management: Reconciling Rights and Resources,” Canadian Bar Association National Aboriginal Law Conference (Iqaluit, 2014)
- “Federal Regulatory Reform and the 2012 Omnibus Bills – Perspectives on Aboriginal Opposition,” Canadian Bar Association Environmental Law Section Meeting (Calgary, March 2013)
- Lecturer, Environmental Permitting and the Duty to Consult, University of Saskatchewan (2013)
- Lecturer, Renewable Energy, University of Saskatchewan (2010, 2011, 2013)
- “Project Approvals and Federal Legislation,” Saskatchewan Mining Association Annual General Meeting (2012)
- “Update on Federal Environmental Legislative Changes,” Saskatchewan Environmental Industry Managers Association (April 2013)
- “Petroleum Contaminated Sites,” Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Forum, Insight (2009)
- “Managing Environmental Regulatory Factors,” MLT Construction Law Seminar (2008)
- “Watered Down: Issues Surrounding Water Use, Legislation and Policy in Southern Alberta” with Clayton Leonard, Environmental Law: The Year in Review 2007, ed. S. Berger and D. Saxe, Canada Law Book: Aurora (Ontario, 2008)
- Recognized in Lexpert/ROB Special Edition, as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in Energy (2019)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Energy Regulatory Law, Environmental Law (since 2011)
- A leading practitioner, Energy, Environmental, Indigenous, Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory