Ryan Zahara practises primarily in the area of insolvency and restructuring.
- Counsel to the secured lender in the receivership proceedings of Redwater Energy Corporation, including appearing before the Supreme Court of Canada
- Counsel to the secured lender in enforcement proceedings against Solo Liquor Stores Ltd. and Solo Liquor Holdings Ltd. (retail)
- Counsel to the secured lender on a number of matters including Coredent Partnership, Hughson Trucking Inc., Devlin Construction Ltd. and Rockmore Developments Ltd.
- Senior secured lender enforcing its security under a US$450,000,000 credit facility against a coal mine in Grande Cache, Alberta (mining)
- Senior secured lender in the receiverships of COGI Limited Partnership et al (oil and gas)
- Court-appointed receivers of Phenomenome Discoveries Inc. et al, (pharmaceutical) Northern Frontier Corp. et al (oilfield construction), Eagles Quay Properties Inc. and Exall Energy Corp (oil and gas)
- Secured lender for the Walton Vita Crystallina Development in the CCAA proceedings of Walton International Group Inc. (real estate)
- First secured lender for the Riverside project in the receivership proceedings of the Reid Built Group of Companies (real estate)
- Counsel to a gas production volume royalty holder in its dispute with the Receiver of Manitok Energy Inc. over its production volume royalty
- Debtor in the successful CCAA proceedings of RS Technologies Inc. (manufacturing)
- Participating in the development and implementation of plans of arrangement and compromise in the CCAA proceedings of Athletes World (retail) and Caribou Resources Corp. (oil and gas)
Ryan has been involved in numerous restructuring proceedings under the Companies Creditors’ Arrangement Act (CCAA) and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA). Ryan also regularly acts on behalf of court-appointed officers in insolvency proceedings, including receivers, monitors and trustees. Ryan has represented clients from a wide range of industries including retail, real estate, mining, oil and gas and manufacturing.
Ryan appears regularly before the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Alberta Court of Appeal and has appeared at the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench.
Ryan also advises on commercial litigation issues, including corporate foreclosures, enforcement actions and construction disputes.
- Vice president, Turnaround Management Association (Northwest Chapter)
- Chair, TMA Annual Cross Border Conference (2018)
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute and the Law Society of Alberta
- Former president, Canadian Bar Association (South) Insolvency Section
- Former chair, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s Ride for Diabetes Research, Calgary