Ryan Zahara practises primarily in the area of insolvency and restructuring.
- Counsel to the secured lender in the receivership proceedings of Redwater Energy Corporation, including appearing before the Supreme Court of Canada
- Counsel to the Debtor in the successful CCAA restructuring proceedings of Kaisen Energy Corp.
- Counsel for the Trustee in the bankruptcy of Sean McCoshen
- Counsel to the secured lender on a number of matters enforcement matters involving the appointment of a receiver including Coredent Partnership, Balanced Energy Group of Companies, Rbee Aggregates Consulting Ltd., Traverse Energy Ltd. and PrimeCare Health
- Court-appointed receivers of W.A. Grain et al (agricultural), Eagles Quay Properties Inc., Alberta Foothills Properties Ltd. (real property), Alter NRG Corp. (IP and Patents), and Accede Energy Services
- Court-appointed monitor of Redrock Camps Inc. et al and Morris Industries Ltd.
- Participating in the development and implementation of plans of arrangement and compromise in the CCAA proceedings of Kaisen Energy Corp. (oil and gas)
- Counsel to the secured lender in enforcement proceedings against Solo Liquor Stores Ltd. and Solo Liquor Holdings Ltd. (retail)
- Counsel to the secured lender on a number of matters including Coredent Partnership, Hughson Trucking Inc., Devlin Construction Ltd. and Rockmore Developments Ltd.
- Senior secured lender enforcing its security under a US$450,000,000 credit facility against a coal mine in Grande Cache, Alberta (mining)
- Senior secured lender in the receiverships of COGI Limited Partnership et al (oil and gas)
- Court-appointed receivers of Phenomenome Discoveries Inc. et al, (pharmaceutical) Northern Frontier Corp. et al (oilfield construction), Eagles Quay Properties Inc. and Exall Energy Corp (oil and gas)
- Secured lender for the Walton Vita Crystallina Development in the CCAA proceedings of Walton International Group Inc. (real estate)
- First secured lender for the Riverside project in the receivership proceedings of the Reid Built Group of Companies (real estate)
- Counsel to a gas production volume royalty holder in its dispute with the Receiver of Manitok Energy Inc. over its production volume royalty
- Debtor in the successful CCAA proceedings of RS Technologies Inc. (manufacturing)
- Participating in the development and implementation of plans of arrangement and compromise in the CCAA proceedings of Athletes World (retail) and Caribou Resources Corp. (oil and gas)
Ryan has been involved in numerous restructuring proceedings under the Companies Creditors’ Arrangement Act (CCAA) and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA). Ryan also regularly acts on behalf of court-appointed officers in insolvency proceedings, including receivers, monitors and trustees. Ryan has represented clients from a wide range of industries including retail, real estate, mining, oil and gas and manufacturing.
Ryan appears regularly before the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Alberta Court of Appeal and has appeared at the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench and the Ontario Superior Court.
Ryan also advises on commercial litigation issues, including corporate foreclosures, enforcement actions and construction disputes.
- Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Member of the Turnaround Management Association and past President of the Northwest Chapter
- Member, Law Society of Alberta and Canadian Bar Association
- Former president, Canadian Bar Association (South) Insolvency Section
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (2022)