Scott brings a client-centred focus to assist corporate and individual clients in a variety of litigation matters, including contractual disputes, company and shareholder disputes, commercial and residential real estate and defamation matters, and in regulatory proceedings in the B.C. Securities Commission and other regulatory bodies.
Scott has represented or advised:
- A minority shareholder of a technology company in an oppression claim and derivative action
- B.C. individuals and their companies in a British Columbia Securities Commission investigation which involved temporary orders and freezing of assets, and in related class action proceedings
- B.C. business owners in in a dispute with a former shareholder and employee
- Commercial and residential purchasers in collapsing and failed real estate transactions
- A B.C. company in a failed asset purchase involving legal proceedings in British Columbia and Alberta
- A Vancouver mining company with assets in China and shares traded on the NYSE and TSX in claims related to a New York-based short-selling campaign of its publicly traded securities by individuals based in China that resulted in what was alleged to be false imprisonment and defamation in British Columbia
- A B.C. company in defending a defamation action brought by a former employee
- A mutual fund dealer in an investigation by the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
- A B.C. investor involved in Alberta legal proceedings related to a fraudulent investment scheme
- A financial professional in investigation and disciplinary proceedings brought by the Financial Institutions Commission
- A commercial real estate brokerage in a claim for unpaid commission
- Commercial landlords in arbitration proceedings with tenants related to lease renewals
- A property developer in a misrepresentation claim brought by a purchaser
- A B.C. design firm in a dispute over the quality of services provided to a client
- A non-profit society in a dispute between the society’s directors
- A government entity in defending a contractual good faith claim
Scott is experienced in all stages and forums of dispute resolution, whether assisting clients in reaching a negotiated resolution or representing clients in court proceedings. He represents clients in commercial litigation matters, including contractual disputes, company and shareholder disputes, commercial and residential real estate and defamation matters.
Scott also represents clients in investigations and hearings before the B.C. Securities Commission, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada and other regulatory bodies.
He is also experienced in advising clients in mediations and arbitrations. He has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia and in various administrative tribunals.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono