With a background in business and broad-based experience in different practice areas, Sharon Au is a civil litigator who brings a practical and client-centred approach to resolving disputes.
Sharon is a civil litigator whose practice includes advising and representing clients in the areas of insurance (including coverage and policy issues), administrative law, commercial contracts and leases, privacy matters and general civil litigation. She has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta and has assisted clients in proceedings before various administrative tribunals, including the Alberta Environmental Appeals Board and the Alberta Human Rights Commission.
Sharon has also presented on topics such as professional regulation and common employment issues facing employers.
- Former Co-chair, Women Lawyers’ Forum, Canadian Bar Association (Northern Alberta, 2012-2013)
- Volunteer, Edmonton Community Legal Clinic (since 2011)
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project (since 2012)
- Presenter, “High Times – Cannabis and Professional Discipline,” MLT Aikins (Edmonton, Sept 2018)
- Presenter, “Challenges in Professional Regulations: Ungovernable and Self-Regulated Members,” MLT Aikins Administrative Law Seminar (2017)
- Presenter, “Proactive Steps to Avoid Litigation,” MLT Human Resources Professionals Seminar
- Presenter, “Controlling Risk and Limiting Liability in the Remediation and Reclamation of Contaminated and/or Abandoned Sites,” Environmental Law and Regulation in Alberta Conference, The Canadian Institute, (2013, 2014)