Brendan practices complex commercial and corporate litigation, and has advocated for clients in trials and appeals before all levels of court in British Columbia and leave applications to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Brendan has wide-ranging experience in complex legal disputes and has successfully appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia in contested applications, trials, appeals and class proceedings.
Brendan has acted for a variety of clients, including shareholders and directors of corporations, real estate developers, construction contractors, transportation companies, financial services firms, banks, mining companies and publicly listed securities issuers, among others.
Outside the office, Brendan has served as a director and officer of non-profit organizations and instructed paralegal students on tort law. Brendan’s experience includes working with Lawyers without Borders on high-profile war crimes prosecutions in Central America, including with the legal team that saw the conviction of Guatemala’s ex-head of state for genocide.
Brendan is fluent in Spanish and assists clients with disputes requiring Spanish-speaking counsel locally and abroad.
- Acted as appellate counsel in appeal from $7M liability and sanctions findings for market manipulation under the Securities Act;
- Acted as appellate and certification counsel in a securities class action concerning alleged misrepresentations of a public gold-mining company in the lead up to a plan of arrangement;
- Acted as appellate and trial counsel in an acquisition dispute between public mining companies concerning breach of contract and misrepresentation claims;
- Acted for the owners of high-profile real estate in downtown Vancouver in commercial tenancy dispute;
- Acted for the business successors of a high-profile Canadian architecture firm in a complex corporate dispute;
- Acted for a global trade financial institution in a fraud investigation and civil action by the United States Department of Justice;
- Acted for shareholders in complex commercial arbitration of conspiracy claims in connection with an internal share market and acquisition;
- Acted for real estate developers in large multi-party negligence claims respecting condominium developments; partnership, corporate governance and shareholders disputes; airspace trespass claims; and disputes with contractors;
- Acted for commercial landlords and tenants in litigation under the Commercial Tenancy Act;
- Acted for a publicly-listed California-based cannabis company in multiple disputes before various courts related to breaches of contract and the marketing of its securities;
- Acted for commercial farm owners in litigation involving, for example, real estate ownership dispute, claims to high-value inventory and mareva injunctions for the preservation of assets;
- Acted for directors in fraud, embezzlement and breach of fiduciary duty claims;
- Acted as counsel for insurer in defending directors’ liability claims;
- Acted for businesses involved in disputes with insurance companies and brokers over general commercial liability and property loss claims;
- Acted for the BC Ministry of Social Development in claims under the Employment and Assistance Act;
- Acted for shareholders and directors of corporations in disputes concerning, for example, derivative actions, oppression claims, corporate governance, division of corporate assets, and collapsed share/asset purchase agreements
- Acted for construction general contractors and sub-trades in claims including negligence, breach of contract, collection matters and disputes under the Builders Lien Act.
- Acted for employers in wrongful dismissal and human rights proceedings;
- Acted for creditors in bankruptcy proceedings;
- Acted for private mortgagees and lenders in foreclosure proceedings;
- Acted for restaurant and pub owners in litigation regarding breach of contract, negligence, property damage and occupiers liability claims;
- Acted for commercial transportation companies involved in claims for damage to property, cargo and equipment;
- Acted for a national bank with respect to statutory compliance issues;
- Acted for a trust company involved in estates-related court proceedings;
- Acted for beneficiaries and executors in estates and trusts litigation, including challenges to the validity of wills, equitable trust claims, actions to vary wills, alleged breaches of executors’ duties, alleged improper use of powers of attorney and applications to rectify testamentary documents;
- Acted for high-net-worth individuals in family law proceedings involving claims to complicated asset structures;
- Acted for a family lawyer and parenting coordinator in litigation concerning professional liability and breach of contract claims
- Acted as counsel for a law firm in an estate dispute concerning the production of a privileged solicitor’s file;
- Acted for a Central American owner of an agricultural company involved in a corporate governance dispute in British Columbia;
- Acted for a resident of the United States in challenging the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of British Columbia;
- Acted for an individual in a multi-day trial concerning a complex challenge to the jurisdiction of the Provincial Court of
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- President, Latincouver Cultural and Business Society (2016 – 2019)
- Founding President, Canadian Lawyers Abroad, TRU Student Chapter (2012 – 2014)
- Canadian Bar Association Representative, Society of Law Students Executive (2012 – 2013)
- Board Member, Kamloops Bar Association (2012 – 2013)
- Administrative Volunteer, Access Pro Bono (2012)
- Author, “Class Action Settlements Before Certification: Counsel Beware!,” The Advocate, July 2021 Issue, Vol. 79 Part 4, Vancouver Bar Association