Brent Matkowski practices in the firm’s labour and employment group. Brent assists employers with all legal matters arising from their workplaces.
Brent assists employers with labour and employment law matters including labour relations, human rights, occupational health and safety, certification, collective agreement negotiation, workers’ compensation, employment standards, employment contracts, employer policies and discipline. Brent has represented employers before the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, Court of Queen’s Bench, Labour Relations Board and Provincial Court. Brent has also represented employers before a variety of administrative boards and arbitrators.
- Former Chair (2018-2020), Vice-Chair (2016-2018), and Secretary (2014-2018) of the Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan (North) Administrative and Labour Law Section
- Advisory Committee Member, Canadian Industrial Relations Association Saskatoon Chapter
- Advocacy Committee Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Labour Committee Member, North Saskatoon Business Association (NSBA)
- Canadian Bar Association (2013-present)
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (2014-present)
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources (CPHR) Saskatchewan (2014-present)
- Canadian Industrial Relations Association Saskatoon Chapter (2013-present)
Brent is a regular presenter at the various labour seminars hosted by MLT Aikins. He has presented on topics such as the duty to accommodate, off-duty misconduct, social media, harassment, investigations, occupational health and safety, COVID-19, and COVID-19 vaccination policies.
Brent has presented to external organizations and at conferences, including:
- The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources Saskatchewan (CPHR Saskatchewan) Conference
- The Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Labour and Administrative Law Section
- The Canadian Industrial Relations Association (Saskatoon Chapter)
- The Centre for Labour-Management Development Accommodation Law Conference (Saskatoon)
- The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board Staff Conference.
Brent has contributed to the CPHR Saskatchewan magazine.
- Schulich Scholarship in Law (2010)
- University of Saskatchewan Undergraduate Scholarship (2009)
- University of Saskatchewan Entrance Scholarship (2008)