Janelle is a member of the MLT Aikins litigation team and has a general litigation practice.
- Ituna Investment LP v Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc., 2019 SKQB 75, appeal to the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal heard (decision pending), counsel for Ituna Investment LP in litigation regarding the proper interpretation of the investment features of a universal life insurance policy, and the proper interpretation and application of insurance regulations.
- Veolia Water Technologies, Inc., successor by merger to HPD, LLC v K+S Potash Canada General Partnership, 2019 SKCA 25, leave to appeal to SCC refused, 2019 CanLii 94468, counsel for K+S Potash Canada General Partnership (“KSPC”) in successfully opposing an application to enjoin KSPC from drawing on two letters of credit worth US$29.6 million in connection with the design and construction of a potash mine. This is the first recorded Canadian appellate court decision considering the test to be applied when seeking an interim injunction enjoining the beneficiary of a letter of credit from drawing on that letter.
- K+S Potash Canada General Partnership v Veolia Water Technologies, Inc., successor by merger to HPD, LLC(21 June 2019) Saskatoon, QBG 278 of 2019 (Sask QB, unreported), counsel for K+S Potash Canada General Partnership on an application to set aside an arbitral tribunal award finding the tribunal had jurisdiction over certain claims put before it by Veolia in connection with the design and construction of a potash mine. The Court of Queen’s Bench concluded that the disputes at issue were beyond the scope of the parties’ arbitration agreement, and ordered that the arbitral award be set aside and the arbitration stayed.
Janelle has appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, and has appeared as second chair before the Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan and Court of Appeal of Alberta.
Prior to joining the firm, she clerked at the Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan.
- Co-Managing Editor, Saskatchewan Law Review (2015-2016)
- Volunteer, ProBono Students Canada (2014-2016)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal (2016)
- Thomas Dowrick Brown Prize (Most Distinguished Graduate), College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2016)
- The Honourable Donald Alexander McNiven Prize in Law, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2016)
- Blakes Scholar, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2014-2016)