Jason practises in the area of corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on banking and financial services, corporate governance and commercial transactions.
Jason’s practice focuses primarily on banking and financial services with a focus on secured and unsecured credit transactions. He acts for a range of lenders and business clients and has experience with transactions involving term debt, subordinated debt, quasi-equity and equity investments covering a wide range of industries, including agriculture, construction, oilfield services, energy and real estate.
In his corporate and commercial practice, Jason advises on corporate governance matters and has experience drafting share and asset purchase agreements, partnership agreements and shareholder agreements for clients ranging from owner-operated businesses to larger organizations.
Jason also has experience with commercial real estate transactions involving industrial, retail and hotel properties.
- Counsel to a Schedule II Bank in connection with a $500 million syndicated credit facility made available to a designer of engineered bearings and power transmission products listed on the New York Stock Exchange and with operations in more than 35 countries
- Advising with respect to Alberta security matters, registrations and opinions in connection with a $110 million syndicated asset based credit facility made available to, among others, an electrical, instrumentation and building fabrication services company with operations in Canada, the United States, the Middle East and the Asia Pacific
- Counsel to a specialty finance company as part of a $65 million financing used as part of the operational expansion of an environmental services company across British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories
- Counsel to a Schedule I Bank on a $45 million financing relating to the operations of a large scale farming and feedlot operation in Alberta and Saskatchewan
- Counsel to a Schedule I Bank on a $42 million financing used as part of a corporate reorganization of a tax preparation company with operations in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Atlantic Canada
- Counsel to a specialty finance company on a $41 million subordinate debt financing used as part of the purchase of an oilfield services company with operations in British Columbia and Alberta
- Counsel to a Schedule I Bank on a $36 million financing used for the purchase of an insurance broker with operations across British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario
- Counsel to PFM Capital Inc. in connection with $33 million in aggregate credit facilities in connection with the acquisition of the All-Fab Group, a manufacturer and distributor of structural wood building components and ready-to-move homes and buildings operating as All-Fab, Olympic Homes and Nu-Fab throughout Canada and the United States with manufacturing facilities in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
- Counsel to various lenders in respect of loans made available to borrowers across numerous industries including the real estate, agricultural and energy services sectors ranging in size from $5 million to $60 million
- Section Member, Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Volunteer, Pro-Bono Students Canada (2013)
- Caseworker, Civil and Family Project (Edmonton), Student Legal Services (2013)
- Caseworker, Criminal Project (Edmonton), Student Legal Services (2012)
- Jason Law Academic Scholarship (Alberta, 2015)
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Achievement (Alberta, 2010)
- Dean’s Honour Roll (Alberta, 2009-2011)
- Presenter, “Issues to Consider in Secured Lending Transactions,” client seminar (2019)
- Presenter, “Credit Agreements and Loan and Security Documents,” client seminar (2018)
- Presenter, Employment Update, MLT’s Banff & Lake Louise Hospitality Association Presentation (2016)