Jonathan O’Connor practises predominantly in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, capital markets and securities law. He has been involved in several high-profile commercial acquisition, financing and public offering transactions of Canadian and international clients.
- Acted on two of the largest rights offering transactions in Canadian history, with aggregate proceeds of approximately US$3 billion.
- Multiple equity offerings for a Canadian public mining company listed on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges.
- Strategic alliance agreement between a junior uranium exploration company and an international uranium conglomerate.
- Represented a startup mobile gaming company and its founders in its sale to a multi-national European conglomerate.
- Represented a tech-based venture fund in connection with the sale of its interest in a large Vancouver-based security firm to a U.S. conglomerate.
- Takeover of a British Columbia-based mining company by a U.S.-based mining company by way of court-approved arrangement.
- Long-term investment agreement between a Canadian mining company and an international mining conglomerate.
- Secondary listing of a Canadian mining company on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and a related equity financing.
- Directly advising the borrower regarding secured loan facilities totalling in aggregate of more than US$300 million.
Jonathan has extensive experience acting for buyers, sellers and issuers, both public and private, in a variety of industries, including natural resources, manufacturing, financial institutions (including credit unions), technology and cannabis.
This experience has been developed through a variety of mandates, with special focus on purchases and sales of business, corporate governance advice and structuring, and capital raising.
On multiple occasions, Jonathan has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada for his work in mergers and acquisitions, corporate law and natural resources law.
- Board of directors, Mining for Miracles (2016)
- Board of directors, Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club (since 2012)
- Board of directors, Contemporary Art Gallery of Vancouver (since 2014)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Corporate Law, Corporate Governance Practice, Mergers & Acquisitions, Natural Resources Law (since 2015)