Kayla Míguez is an articling student in the firm’s Vancouver office with a background in science.
Kayla obtained her Bachelor of Civil Law and Juris Doctor from McGill University in 2021. Through her training in common and civil law and her graduate background in science, she has gained a wealth of research and advocacy experience in a variety of settings. Kayla enjoys working collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams to help meet the legal needs of communities.
Prior to law school, Kayla completed a Master of Science in Exercise/Muscle Physiology, a Bachelor of Science in Honours Kinesiology, and a Diploma of College Studies in Environmental Science. She is fluent in English and French, and functional in Spanish.
- Student Clerk, Municipal Court of Montreal (2021)
- Research Assistant, Centre for Rural Health Research (2019-2021)
- Research Coordinator, McGill Research Group on Health and Law (2019-2021)
- Legal Research Intern, O’Neill Institute for National & Global Health Law, Georgetown Law (2020)
- Volunteer Case Manager, Mile End Legal Clinic, Pro Bono Students Canada (2020)
- Senior Managing Editor, McGill Journal of Law and Health (2018-2020)
- Researcher, Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (2015-2018)
- Co-author, “Chronic aryl hydrocarbon receptor activity phenocopies smoking-induced skeletal muscle impairment,” Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle (2021)
- Co-author, “Rural citizen-patient priorities for healthcare in British Columbia: findings from a mixed methods study,” BMC Health Services Research (2021)
- Presenter, BC Patient Safety and Quality Council “Quality Forum” (2021)
- Presenter, BC SUPPORT Unit “Putting Patients First Conference” (2020)
- Co-author, “Smoke-induced neuromuscular junction degeneration precedes the fibre type shift and atrophy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Journal of Physiology (2018)
- Chief Justice R.A.E. Greenshields Memorial Scholarship, McGill University Faculty of Law (2018)
- International Graduate Mobility Award, McGill University Graduate Studies (2017)
- Graduate Scholarship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2016)
- Master’s Recruitment Award, McGill University Department of Kinesiology (2015)
- Dean’s Honour List, McGill University Department of Kinesiology (2013-2015)