Lisa is a highly skilled and experienced litigator who has appeared before the courts in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Washington State and New York, as well as before numerous provincial and federal administrative tribunals, including the Securities Commissions of British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec and the SEC. Her practice focuses on complex commercial, securities and family litigation.
Lisa has advised:
- Financial advisers, investment banks and individual market participants in investigations and enforcement proceedings involving the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the British Columbia Securities Commission and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and related civil litigation
- High net worth individuals in family law proceedings regarding the valuation of their assets and securities holdings
- A universal crypocurrency payments provider in an investigation by the British Columbia Securities Commission
- A group of consultants in proceedings initiated by the British Columbia Securities Commission and a related class action
- A national bank in litigation regarding its recruiting practices
- A technology company alleging fraud, misrepresentations and breach of contract against its chief technology officer
- A blogger in a defamation action brought against him by a capital markets participant
- A group of automobile dealers in an investigation by the Vehicle Sales Authority
- A chief financial officer of a Chinese public company whose shares were traded on the New York Stock Exchange
- A group of investors in real estate resulting in civil allegations of misrepresentations, fraud and breach of contract
- A geologist in litigation brought by a group of mine owners for breach of contract and professional negligence
- A national flooring company in litigation regarding its trademark
- Real estate agents and developers in regulatory proceedings before the British Columbia Superintendent of Real Estate, the Real Estate Council of British Columbia and related civil litigation
- Investors with claims against a professional advisor involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract and negligence in the provision of investment-related services
- A terminated executive of a private company in the recovery of damages for severance and a buyout of his partnership interest
- Two business partners in a dispute with their third partner involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract and negligence
- Minority shareholders in a technology company in litigation before the Supreme Court of British Columbia
- A private equity fund in a breach of contract action against a borrower
Lisa represents individuals and organizations facing business disputes or regulatory action, particularly in the area of securities law. She regularly defends clients facing enforcement action by securities regulators and advises market participants on all aspects of enforcement and compliance with regulations relating to the Securities Act, self-regulatory bodies and exchanges.
She also represents clients in civil proceedings, such as claims for fraud or misrepresentation in connection with the purchase or sale of securities, defamation, shareholder and partnership disputes and breaches of fiduciary duty as well as claims of negligence and professional misconduct. She also acts for high net worth individuals in family law cases where complicated asset structures and securities are at issue.
Her clients benefit from her experience as a former prosecutor with the British Columbia Ministry of the Attorney General in Vancouver and later as senior enforcement counsel at the British Columbia Securities Commission.
Lisa is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences. She is a past president of the Vancouver Bar Association and was an elected representative of the Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch. She is also a member of the Women Presidents’ Organization and sits on a number of advisory boards.
- Member, Women’s Presidents’ Organization
- Advisory Member, BMO women in business initiative
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association