Scott has a depth of experience in providing advice to companies in the food and agriculture industry as well as advice on real estate law.
- Counsel to food processing companies on raising equity through private placements and initial public offerings and generally on corporate governance matters
- Counsel to various potash and crop input companies on real estate and development matters
- Counsel to several chartered banks and insurance companies on lending for commercial and agricultural loans
- Counsel to a truck to rail transloading company on the development of a transloading facility and associated industrial development
- Counsel to West Central Road & Rail on the sale of its assets to AGT Foods
- Counsel to Lethbridge Inland Terminal on the sale of all of its assets to Viterra Inc.
- Counsel to producer-owned inland grain terminals in Western Canada for many years on matters including corporate/commercial, securities, financing and regulatory affairs and many innovative arrangements such as grain condominiums
- Saskatchewan Counsel to a major pipeline company on a new Canadian pipeline
- Counsel to New Zealand corporation on its acquisition of a Canadian sheep and lamb operation
- Counsel to purchaser on acquisition of two construction material supply companies
- Counsel to various municipalities on real estate and development matters
- Counsel to oilfield services corporation on multiple cross border private placements of shares and secured debt
- Counsel to a corporation on corporate governance matters in a shareholder oppression action
- Provided report on solicitor’s role in advising an immigrant investor fund for a Court of Queen’s Bench Action
- Counsel to a major western Canadian developer of commercial, residential and resort properties
- Counsel to numerous widely-held companies in the food and agriculture industry
- Special Counsel to the Province of Saskatchewan and lecturer on the automation of the Saskatchewan land titles system
Scott has extensive involvement in the agricultural industry, particularly the grain handling sector, and has been active in securing legislative change to promote growth and development in value-added agribusiness. Scott is recognized as one of the top 50 most influential people in the Canadian agriculture industry by Canadian Western Agribition.
Scott has represented landlords, developers, financial institutions, insurance companies, municipalities and national and multi-national corporations on real estate matters. He also has significant expertise in the agribusiness sector, particularly with widely-held companies, providing advice on corporate finance, securities and corporate governance. As one of the founding partners of the MLT Aikins Calgary office, Scott has been extensively involved in the firm’s growth in Alberta since 2002.
He has acted for junior and senior issuers and underwriters on private placements and public offerings for companies in the agribusiness, real estate, steel, information technology and natural resources sectors in Canada and the United States.
- Member, Alberta Food Processors Association Board (present)
- Director, Plant Protein Alliance of Alberta Ltd. (2018-2021)
- Co-Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch – Food & Agribusiness Section
- Member, Calgary Stampede International Agriculture and Agri-Food Committee
- MLT Aikins LLP Executive Committee (2010-2015)
- Director and Vice-President, Epilepsy Canada (1997-2005)
- Former President, Epilepsy Regina Inc.
- Conference presenter, “Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements” (2012)
- Presenter, “An Introduction to the Saskatchewan Land Titles System,” various internal and external seminars (2001-2012)
- “Restrictions on Foreign Ownership of Land in Saskatchewan and Alberta,” internal presentation (2008)
- “Securities Law Primer – Implications for Commercial Lawyers, Paralegals and Everyday Practice,” internal presentation (2007)
- Speaker, Saskatchewan Energy Forum (2003)
- Recognized as one of the most influential people in Canadian agriculture by Canadian Western Agribition Top 50 in Canadian Agriculture (2020)
- Recognized as one of the top lawyers in Agribusiness in Canada by Chambers Canada (2019)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law (since 2019) and Corporate Law (2021)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “CV Peer Review Rated”