Suraj (Raj) practises in the field of taxation, including personal and corporate tax planning, corporate reorganizations, corporate / commercial law and the use of trusts and estate planning.
Prior to law school, Raj completed his Bachelor’s of Commerce degree with majors in accounting as well as human resource management/industrial relations. His undergraduate studies in taxation and policy ignited an interest in the law, particularly tax law. In law school, he pursued courses related to income tax law, corporate taxation and taxation of trusts and estates.
His wealth of extracurricular and volunteer endeavors have helped shape him into an empathetic leader and advocate in the community. He has worn a number of hats, leading teams and committees, teaching and mentoring students, and organizing and executing charitable events.
Raj served as an intern with the Manitoba Human Rights Commission and volunteered with Pro Bono Students Canada, where he worked on a project for the Manitoba Law Reform Commission. As a volunteer with Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council, he helped refugees complete documentation for their refugee claims. And while in law school, he developed and oversaw charitable projects as part of the Community Outreach Committee and raised funds for prostate cancer research as team captain of the Robson Hall Movember Team.
- Participant, Third-Year Negotiation Competition, Robson Hall
- Student Representative, Student Affairs Committee, Robson Hall
- Member, Community Outreach Committee, Manitoba Law Students’ Association (MLSA)
- President, Law Symposium Student Group, Robson Hall
- Independent Volunteer, Assisted individuals in applying for the CERB Benefit (2020)
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Students Canada (2019-2020)
- Team Captain (2019, 2020), Fundraiser (2018), Movember Team, Robson Hall
- Volunteer, Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council (2019)
- One of the top 30 negotiators in second year at Robson Hall (2019-2020)
- Dean’s Honour List, Faculty of Management (2012-2014)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Induction (2012-2013)