Tom’s practice is focused in corporate and commercial law, securities, mining, mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory compliance. He regularly acts for private companies, publicly traded issuers, private equity funds, and Indigenous economic development organizations. He provides services in both English and French.
Tom advises clients in connection with a broad range of matters, including public offerings, private placements, purchases and sales of businesses, going public transactions, venture capital financings, the sale and acquisition of mining titles, secured transactions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance matters.
He regularly acts for private companies, private equity funds, Indigenous economic development organizations, and publicly traded issuers listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), the TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV) and the Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE), particularly in the mining, cannabis, real estate, information technology and life sciences sectors.
- Public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities as counsel to issuers
- Takeover bids and going private transactions
- TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV) listings and Qualifying Transactions
- Listings on the Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE)
- Acted for the largest unsecured creditor of Nemaska Lithium Inc. at all levels of court in Quebec and in submissions to the securities regulatory authorities in connection with Nemaska’s $3.1-billion restructuring under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act by way of a reverse vesting order, an application for a declaration respecting the acquisition of a net smelter return royalty as a sui generis real right constituting a dismemberment of the right of ownership, and an oppression remedy against the former directors and officers of Nemaska
- Advising mining companies on consultation protocols with Indigenous groups and exploration agreements and impact benefit agreements
- Acted for an exempt market dealer and several start-up companies and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in connection with exempt market product offerings
- Acted for a cannabis company in connection with its reverse takeover of a TSXV listed mining issuer
- Acted for a mining exploration issuer in a transaction involving a change of business, reverse takeover and transfer of listing from the TSXV to the Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE)
- Addition to Reserve transactions involving the creation of urban reserves and commercial leasing projects for First Nations
- Acted for a TSX-listed cleantech company in connection with a $22-million secured debt financing
- Acted for a real estate investment trust (REIT) listed on the TSXV in connection with a $14-million private placement, secured financing, property acquisition and restructuring transaction
- Advised an industrial services provider to the metals industry in connection with the negotiation of a 10-year, $30-million service contract
- Acted for various investment dealers, exempt market dealers, investment funds, portfolio managers, insurance companies, brokers, and agents in connection with licensing matters and regulatory compliance
- Director and Corporate Secretary, Beyond Minerals Inc. (CSE:BY)
- Corporate Secretary, Vision Lithium Inc. (TSXV:VLI)
- Member, The Law Society of Manitoba
- Member, Barreau du Québec
- Member, Canadian Bar Association