Organizations and individuals across Canada are pivoting into the online world to better serve their clients and customers due to COVID-19 restrictions.
While this transition brings many promising opportunities, it also presents significant legal risks. We have assisted a number of clients to manage these risks and will be providing a series of blogs and tools over the coming weeks to help more organizations and individuals navigate the challenges.
This series will highlight the following areas:
- E-commerce systems and electronic contracting
- Online marketing: contests, social media and anti-spam laws
- Protecting data: privacy and cybersecurity compliance programs
- Branding and protecting intellectual property
- Using video-conferencing platforms
- New technologies and service providers
- Professionals and online services
- Remote working arrangements with employees and independent contractors
- Domain names and disputes
- Record retention and electronic evidence
Although these are only some of the key legal topics that you should be aware of in operating online, this area is evolving rapidly and we will add topics as legal considerations change. If there is a topic you’d love to hear about, please let us know.
Avoid missing out on any of these key topics by subscribing here.
MLT Aikins is a proud supporter of our communities and we look forward to working with you as we rebuild our economy together.
Note: This article is of a general nature only and is not exhaustive of all possible legal rights or remedies. In addition, laws may change over time and should be interpreted only in the context of particular circumstances such that these materials are not intended to be relied upon or taken as legal advice or opinion. Readers should consult a legal professional for specific advice in any particular situation.