Kristél Kriel's experience in assisting public and private clients with complicated privacy, freedom of information, and technology matters makes her a valued asset to clients.
Kristél has a general corporate commercial practice with a focus on privacy, freedom of information, technology, credit unions and non-profits.
She advises public and private organizations on privacy and freedom of information laws, including matters such as interpretation, compliance, policy development, education, and training. She has advised a variety of organizations on privacy issues affecting their customers and workplaces, including in the healthcare context. Kristél has also advised a number of organizations on provincial and federal freedom of information access requests, as well as reviews by the Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner.
With respect to technology, Kristél has assisted clients with a number of transactions, policies (such as social media, acceptable use, and bring your own device policies), development and licensing agreements and data-sharing agreements.
In her general corporate commercial practice, She assists individuals and organizations with a range of corporate commercial matters, including the purchase and sale of shares and assets, implementation of systems and programs, corporate governance and regulatory issues.
- Selections Committee Member, YWCA Regina Women of Distinction Awards (2016-present)
- Campaign Cabinet Law Division Chair (2013-present), GenNext Cabinet Chair (2016-present), Member and Ambassador (2013-present), United Way of Regina
- Chair, Privacy and Access Law (Saskatchewan South) Section, Canadian Bar Association (2016-present)
- Chair, Young Lawyers (Saskatchewan South) Section, Canadian Bar Association (2014-2015)
- Volunteer Mentor, Mother Teresa Middle School (2013-present)
- President (2016-2017), Treasurer (2015-2016), Director (2013-present), Regina Bar Association
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Students Canada and Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan (2009-present)
- “Board Governance: Duties, Liabilities and Conflict of Interest” with Samer Awadh, Chartered Professional Accountants of Saskatchewan seminar (November 2018)
- “Top Issues in Privacy, Access and CASL,” with Nathan Schissel, Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) Mid-Winter Meeting (January 2018)
- “Technology and Information Protection Concerns for NPOs,” United Way Saskatoon (November 2017)
- “CASL and Privacy Considerations: What Non-Profits Need to Know,” United Way Regina (June 2017)
- “Primer on Procurement – the Canadian Free Trade Agreement,” with Danielle Graff, various presentations (2017-2018)
- “Online Raffles, Solicitation & Marketing (Online Contests),” with Nathan Schissel, Law Society of Saskatchewan, Corporate and Commercial Hot Topics (October 2017)
- “Google Ordered to Remove Search Results Worldwide,” with Nathan Schissel, Leading Internet Case Law, Cecile Park Media (July-August 2017)
- “Cybersecurity and Data Breach Risk Management,” Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) Saskatchewan, Cybersecurity and Privacy Conference (May 2017) with Nathan Schissel,
- “Emerging Issues in Freedom of Information,” with Erin Wolff, Saskatchewan Connections Conference (May 2017)
- “Privacy and FOI Framework for Educational Institutions in Saskatchewan” (March 2017)
- “MAID (Medical Assistance in Dying): In Canada,” with Erin Wolff and Lynsey Gaudin, Canadian Bar Association Saskatchewan Branch BarNotes (December 2016)
- “Key Issues in Access Requests,” with Erin Wolff, Saskatchewan Connections Conference (May 2016)
- “Freedom of Information and Transparency Strategies,” with Randy Brunet, MLT Workshop with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Saskatchewan (April 2016)
- “Privacy Framework and Risks for Financial Institutions,” with Erin Wolff (January 2016)
- “Pharmacy Privacy Officer Re-certification,” with Randy Brunet and Brad Vance, Saskatchewan College of Pharmacy Professionals (September 2015)
- “Is there such a thing as ‘Internet Privacy’?” with Danielle Graff, Canadian Bar Association and Regina Public Library (April 2015)
- “Social Media in the Workplace,” with Jade Buchanan, Saskatchewan Association of School Business Officials (April 2015)
- “Federal Developments in Privacy and Access Laws,” with Nathan Schissel, An Update on Privacy & Access Law, Law Society of Saskatchewan, (April 2015)
- “Social Media & Privacy,” Saskatchewan Association of Human Resources Professionals (February 2015)
- W.G. Morrow – R.C. Carter Prize in Indian and Aboriginal Law (Saskatchewan, 2012)
- C.H.J. (Claude) Burrows, Q.C. Scholarship for contributions to law school community (Saskatchewan, 2012)
- G. Murray Forbes Memorial Bursary for academic achievement and community involvement (Saskatchewan, 2011)
- Dean’s Silver Medal in Science (Alberta, 2009)
- Undergraduate Scholarships (Alberta, 2008 and 2009)