Nathan practices in the area of corporate and commercial law with a focus on technology law, outsourcing, procurement, health care law, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance.
- Counsel to Information Services Corporation in connection with its acquisition of ESC Corporate Services.
- Counsel to a major Canadian agricultural lender in respect of a multi-vendor IT and business process outsourcing initiative.
- Counsel to eHealth Saskatchewan and the Saskatchewan Medical Association (SMA) in connection with the procurement, contracting and implementation of various Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems for Primary Health Care (PHC) providers and medical practitioners and clinics throughout Saskatchewan.
- Counsel to Information Services Corporation in the negotiation and implementation of a 20-year master services agreement with the Government of Saskatchewan for the operation of all of the major Saskatchewan public registries by ISC in connection with its initial public offering by way of secondary offering, for gross proceeds of nearly $170 million.
- Counsel to SaskPower and SaskEnergy in respect of its multi-vendor advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) system.
- Counsel to Health Shared Services Saskatchewan (3sHealth) in the negotiation and documentation of a long-term contract for the supply of laundry and linen services for the Province of Saskatchewan.
- Counsel to Federated Co-operatives Ltd. in the negotiation and documentation of a major IT outsourcing services agreement.
- Counsel to SaskEnergy Incorporated in respect of a customer information system (CIS) implementation project and subsequent ongoing application management, infrastructure support and disaster recovery services.
- Counsel for a Saskatchewan Treasury Board Crown Corporation in the negotiation of a complex design, build and construction and long-term co-location services arrangement.
- Counsel to SaskEnergy Incorporated in the negotiation and implementation of its Enterprise Content Management. (ECM) Solution
- Ongoing adviser to Credit Union Electronic Account Management Services Association (CEAMS) in connection with its acquisition, licensing and implementation of electronic on-line account management, financial services and financial support services systems and software for use by CEAMS’ member credit unions.
- Counsel to a leading Canadian mining company in the negotiation of a co-location services arrangement.
- Counsel for a steel production and mining company in connection with its outsourcing of application maintenance and help desk services in Canada.Counsel to a leading Saskatchewan export and marketing company in the negotiation of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) implementation services and hosting agreement and negotiating a related license agreement for Oracle software and services.
- Counsel to the Saskatchewan Health Shared Services Initiative in connection with the formation, organization and development of Health Shared Services Saskatchewan (3sHealth).
- Counsel to various public-sector entities on procurement methods and best practices, service and supply contracts and trade agreement obligations.
- Counsel on Saskferco Products LLC $1.6 billion sale to Yara International ASA (named the 2008 Canadian Inbound Acquisition of the Year by Lexpert Magazine).
Nathan has acted as counsel in a wide variety of technology-related transactions, including business-process and technology-based outsourcing; software and systems implementation, development and integration; systems support and maintenance; reseller and distribution arrangements; internet and ecommerce; cloud services; procurement of information technology and technology transfer. He has significant experience negotiating and drafting software implementation, development and licensing agreements; software and hardware maintenance and support agreements; systems integration and strategic alliance agreements; service bureau agreements; outsourcing agreements and technology transfer agreements.
Nathan has also acted for purchasers and vendors on several complex domestic and cross-border asset and share purchase and sale transactions. His corporate finance experience includes acting for lenders and borrowers in a number of industries on acquisition and project financings and private equity and subordinated debt arrangements. He has acted on a number of commercial real estate transactions involving the acquisition, sale, lease and finance of commercial properties and has an extensive knowledge of the automated Saskatchewan Land Registry.
In his general corporate/commercial practice, Nathan regularly advises clients on a wide range of matters including business acquisitions and divestitures (including share and asset transactions), service and supply arrangements, procurement and tendering, leasing, corporate governance and compliance matters.
- Member, Board of Trustees, MacKenzie Art Gallery
- Director (2012-2014), Chair of Audit and Finance Committee (2012-2014), Springboard West Innovations Inc.
- Director, Schizophrenia Society of Saskatchewan Inc. (2008-2011)
- Vice-President (2007-2008), Secretary-Treasurer (2006), Director (2005 -2008), Regina Bar Association
- Volunteer, Public Legal Education Association of Saskatchewan
- Roundtable Committee Member, Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can)
- Social Media Committee Member, Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can)
- Member, Canada Information Processing Society (CIPS)
- “Facebook, Google and the Supreme Court: Big Decisions for Internet Law,” with Jade Buchanan, Internet and E-Commerce in Canada, Lexis Nexis, Volume 17, Number 2 (June 2016)
- “Social Media in the Workplace: Legal Issues for Businesses and Employers,” Kenneth Levene Graduate School of Business, University of Regina (December 2015)
- “3D Printing & Implications on IP Rights,” Canadian Bar Association Bar Notes, Vol. 29. No. 3 (spring 2015)
- “Federal Developments in Privacy and Access Laws,” Law Society of Saskatchewan, An Update on Privacy & Access Law (April 2015)
- “Social Media in Evidence and in the Workplace,” Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) Mid-Winter Meeting (2015)
- “Recent Developments in Corporate Law,” with Danielle Graff, Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) Mid-Winter Meeting (2015)
- “The Next Wave of Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation: Installation of Computer Programs and Transmission Data,” BC Legal Management Association, Topics (winter 2015)
- “Legal Issues in Cloud Computing,” with Jade Buchanan, Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) (January 2015)