Pensions & Benefits
Our capabilities in pensions and benefits are based upon a collaboration of corporate lawyers, labour lawyers, tax lawyers and litigators.
We have worked with a number of employers on pension related matters, and have worked closely with several pension committees and boards of trustees on plan governance. We have also worked with a number of pension plan consultants and actuaries. Our experience extends to supplementary executive retirement plans, retirement compensation arrangements and other benefit plans, and to the litigation of pension issues.
We have acted on the establishment of defined benefit and defined contribution plans, for both private and public sector clients, with services that have included plan design; amendments to pension plans, trust agreements and other documentation; interpretation of plan and trust provisions; and advice on federal and provincial pension benefits legislation. We have also worked with corporate employers to develop supplementary executive retirement plans, retirement compensation arrangements, individual pension plans and other benefit plans.
We act for unions, administrators and members. Our team has experience in plan mergers, conversions, participating employer issues including withdrawals, plan wind-ups, surplus distribution, and funding issues including special payments and relief applications.
- Bennett v. Crown Investments Corporation et al., C.A. No. 1846 (SK), Q.B. No. 569 of 2007 (Saskatoon). A motion to appoint a representative of a class in an action to extend the group of beneficiaries of the surplus in a government pension fund.
- Canadian Wheat Board – counsel to plan sponsor
- City of Winnipeg Pension Plan – counsel to retirees
- Dominion Bridge Inc. – counsel to trustee in bankruptcy
- Saan – counsel to plan trustees