Billie advises First Nations and Métis communities on matters related to economic development, commercial leasing, industry partnerships and community governance.
Billie represents Indigenous communities and businesses in negotiations with resource companies to establish joint ventures and other business relationships.
She advises the leadership of Indigenous communities on a variety of matters, including corporate structuring of Indigenous-owned businesses, financial administration and governance, including drafting laws and bylaws. She also advises clients across a number of industries on general commercial matters and in connection with M&A and corporate reorganizations.
Billie has appeared before the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Provincial Court of Alberta, and has experience with regulatory proceedings before the Alberta Utilities Commission, the Alberta Energy Regulator and the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada.
- Counsel to McKay Métis Contracting Limited Partnership on its acquisition of the assets of Athabaska Corp. and its subsidiaries for $21 million
- Counsel to various Alberta First Nations and Métis Settlements in connection with consultation on transmission line, coal mine and SAGD projects.
- Executive Fellow, University of Calgary School of Public Policy (2023-present)
- Executive Member, Aboriginal Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (2020-present)
- Board Member, Impact Society (2020-2021)
- Member, Indigenous Bar Association (2017-present)
- Leadership Council, Forward Summit, Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- Volunteer, Level’s Indigenous Youth Outreach Program (2015-present)
- Aboriginal Education Project Lead, ProBono Law Alberta (2010-2013)
- Board Director, United Nations Association in Canada (2010)
- Volunteer, Samaritan’s Purse (2009-2011)
- Special Events Volunteer, World Vision Canada (2008-2010)
- Member, Actra (1997-present)
- “Aboriginal Peoples, Industry and the Environment: The Alignment of Environmental Interests,” 2016 CAELS Conference (March 11, 2016)
- Contributor, “Energy Superpower in Waiting: New Pipeline Development in Canada, Social Licence and Recent Federal Energy Reforms,” Alberta Law Review, Energy Law Edition, Vol. 53, no. 2 (December 2015)
- A leading practitioner, Indigenous, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2022)
- Rising Star Award, Lexpert (2021)
- ConocoPhillips Aboriginal Award
- Foundation for the Advancement of Aboriginal Youth (FAAY) Scholarship
- Indspire Post-Secondary Education Scholarship