Erin Bokshowan assists clients with tax and estate planning issues and general corporate commercial matters. She also has experience dealing with asset and share purchases, corporate governance issues and unanimous shareholder agreements.
- Assisting businesses and individuals in selecting a business structure, including establishing new operating corporations, holding corporations, partnerships, joint ventures and trusts
- Planning and implementing corporate reorganizations to achieve business objectives and resolve tax issues
- Drafting partnership agreements, cost sharing agreements, shareholders’ agreements and other governance related documents
- Working collaboratively with clients and their advisers to develop and implement a holistic estate plan, including the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, advance health care directives, family trusts, joint partner trusts and alter ego trusts
- Assisting business owners with their succession planning issues, including assessment of exit strategies or mechanisms to transition their business to the next generation
- Regular counsel to dentists and other professionals in connection with the purchase and sale of their practices, tax planning and corporate structuring
- Assisting clients in the incorporation of federal and provincial non-profit corporations and the pursuit of registered charity status
- Advising on various charity and non-profit governance issues, taxation and compliance issues, and planned giving
- Tax and estate planning for family-owned farm operations, including advising on the application on the inter-generational rollover rules and lifetime capital gains exemption available for qualified farm property
Erin is a partner in the firm focused on private enterprise, taxation and estate planning. She assists clients at all stages of the business cycle, from incorporation to winding-up, ensuring all transactions are undertaken in a tax-efficient manner. Erin has specialized expertise on income tax, provincial sales tax, and goods and services tax issues, and has completed Parts I, II and III of the CPA Canada In Depth Tax Course. She assists clients in planning and implementing corporate reorganizations and with the purchase and sale of privately owned businesses. Erin provides governance advice to clients and is experienced in drafting unanimous shareholder agreements and partnership agreements. She also has experience dealing with the establishment and governance of not-for-profit entities and registered charities.
Erin also works collaboratively with clients to develop their succession and estate plan. This includes providing strategic advice regarding owner-manager exit strategies and the transition of their business enterprise to the next generation. She also assists clients in transitioning wealth on death, and prepares wills, powers of attorney and advance health care directives.
Erin attended law school at the University of Saskatchewan where she was awarded the Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal as the most distinguished graduate. At the time of her graduation Erin had the second highest marks ever recorded in the history of the College of Law.
Additionally, Erin spent part of her career as in-house legal counsel for one of the world’s largest diversified mining companies, and thus brings a unique business-focused perspective to all her files.
- Member, MLT Aikins Executive Board
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Director, Saskatchewan Blue Cross (2018-present)
- Volunteer Learning Group Facilitator, Law Society of Saskatchewan CPLED Program (2015-present)
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation (2010-present)
- Editorial Board, Saskatchewan Law Review (2007-2008)
- Volunteer, Campus Legal Services (2006-2008)
- “Tax Planning 101” with Todd Rosenberg, Canadian Bar Association Mid-Winter Meeting (2013)
- “Focus on Agriculture and Farm Law: Estate and Tax Planning,” Law Society of Saskatchewan Continuing Professional Development (2013)
- “Gift Acceptance Policies,” presentation to Estate Planning Council (2012)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates (2022)
- Leading Lawyer, Corporate/Commercial, Estates and Tax Planning, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2021)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal for the Most Distinguished Graduate (2008)
- Thomas Dowrick Brown Prize for Most Distinguished Graduate (2008)
- Carswell and Canada Law Book Prize for Highest Academic Standing (2006, 2007, 2008)
- Stikeman Elliott/Carswell National Tax Award (2007)
- Blakes Scholar Award for Highest Academic Standing (2006, 2007)
- BLG Excellence Award for Highest Academic Standing (2006)