Jessica advises clients on environmental and Aboriginal law matters. Jessica acts for proponents, Indigenous communities, municipalities and landowners navigating project-based permitting and environmental assessment processes. Jessica also advises on matters relating to the duty to consult.
Jessica advises clients on a variety of regulatory matters. She represents clients at all stages of permitting and environmental assessment processes, including related consultation processes. She has advised clients with respect to their liability for remediation obligations and contaminated sites. Jessica has also advised regulators and administrative tribunals on jurisdictional and constitutional matters.
Jessica has experience with constitutional challenges, judicial reviews, injunctions and appeals. She has appeared before the Federal Court, the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. She has also appeared before the Canada Energy Regulator, the Alberta Utilities Commission, the Alberta Energy Regulator, the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission and other administrative bodies.
Jessica’s experience as a clerk at the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal provides her with a unique insight into effective advocacy in administrative and constitutional matters.
- Student Wellness Initiative Toward Community Health, Advisory Board Member (2019-2021)
- Saskatchewan Association for Environmental Law, Moot Judge (2020, 2021)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (2014-present)
- Legal Intern, Lawyers for Human Rights, South Africa (2018-2019)
- Member, YWCA Advocacy Committee (2017-2018)
- Volunteer, Edmonton Community Legal Centre (2016-2018)
- Volunteer, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench Amicus Project (2016-2018)
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project (2016-2018)
- Saskatchewan Environmental & Industry Managers Association SustainTech, Presenter: “2021 Year in Review: The Environmental Legal Landscape” (2022)
- University of Saskatchewan, Sessional Lecturer: Natural Resources Law (2021)
- Saskatchewan Environmental & Industry Managers Association SustainTech, Presenter: Liability for Environmentally Impacted Sites in Saskatchewan (2021)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Bronze Medal
- Law Foundation of Saskatchewan Merit-Based Scholarship
- College of Law Academic Excellence Scholarship
- Thomas P. Deis/Cronkite Prize in Constitutional Law
- W.G. Morrow – R.C. Carter Prize (Aboriginal Law)
- Strayer Prize in Constitutional Law
- Mary Richiger Prize in Municipal Law
- Douglas A. Schmeiser Prize in Criminal Procedure
- Cecil G. Schmitt Prize in Company Law
- Bereskin and Par Prize in Intellectual Property Law
- Saskatchewan Law Review Honour
- University of Regina Academic Silver Prize
- Dean’s List, College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan
- University of Saskatchewan Entrance Scholarship