Mahdi Shams practises primarily corporate and securities law, including capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and finance transactions. Mahdi regularly acts for both public and private companies and registered securities dealers with a particular focus on the technology, mining, life sciences and cannabis. Mahdi has represented a number of clients on a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including IPOs, debt and equity financings, public and private mergers and acquisitions, commercial sale agreements and corporate reorganizations.
- Counsel to Wishpond Technologies Ltd. (TSXV:WISH) in a bought deal offering, including the exercise of an over-allotment option, with a syndicate of underwriters led by Beacon Securities Limited and including PI Financial Corp., Desjardins Securities Inc., Haywood Securities Inc. and Paradigm Capital Inc.
- Counsel to Gravitas Securities Inc. as lead agent together with a syndicate of agents including Haywood Securities Inc., Canaccord Genuity Corp. and Cormark Securities Inc. in connection with a brokered and non-brokered private placement of units of Above Food Corp. for aggregate gross proceeds of $40,233,312.
- Counsel to Gravitas Securities Inc. as sole agent and sole bookrunner in connection with an upsized and oversubscribed brokered private placement of units of MagicMed Industries Inc.
- Counsel to Silver Elephant Mining Corp. (TSX:ELEF) in a bought deal offering, including the exercise of an over-allotment option, with a syndicate of underwriters led by Mackie Research Capital Corporation and including Canaccord Genuity Corp. and Sprott Capital Partners LP.
- Counsel to Wishpond Technologies Ltd. (TSXV:WISH) on its listing on the TSX Venture via a qualifying transaction with a Capital Pool Company.
- Counsel to Victory Square Technologies Inc. (CSE:VST) in connection with an upsized and oversubscribed brokered private placement of special warrants led by Gravitas Securities Inc. as lead agent and sole bookrunner.
- Counsel to Loop Insights Technologies Inc. (TSXV:MTRX) in connection with a listing on the TSX Venture via a reverse takeover transaction.
- Counsel for a significant agribusiness company in a joint venture project at a major port terminal in British Columbia.
- Counsel to a private equity fund investing in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency.
- Counsel to NetApp, Inc. on its acquisition of Bycast Inc., a privately held company that develops object-based storage virtualization
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (formerly Ivanplats Limited) on its $509 million initial public offering (including pre- IPO bonds) on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Acted on secondary listing of a Canadian mining company on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and a related equity financing valued at $410 million.
- Counsel to Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc. on its acquisition of Terrane Metals Corp by way of court- approved plan of arrangement for consideration of US$700 million.
- Counsel to Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc. on its sale of 25% of the life of mine gold production from the Mt. Milligan Copper Gold Project for $310 million.
- Multiple equity offerings for a Canadian public mining company listed on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges.
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Energy Inc. on the sale of its subsidiary, Pan-China Resources Ltd., to MIE Holdings Corporation for US$45 million.
- Counsel to Ivanhoe Australia Limited (dual listed on Australian Securities Exchange) on its secondary listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Mahdi is an emerging industries lawyer with particular focus in the areas of technology (including e-sports and blockchain technology), mining and resources, cannabis and psychedelics, and plant protein. He advises entrepreneurs and growth-stage companies across Canada and helps businesses navigate legal and regulatory issues within new and rapidly advancing industries.
Mahdi employs a business centric and practical approach to solving business and legal needs from incorporation through exit. He acts for clients at all stages of the business life cycle, advising on investments, acquisitions, amalgamations and reorganizations. Mahdi has experience assisting companies and investors secure debt and equity financing through private equity and venture capital opportunities.
Mahdi has been extensively involved in assisting clients in the emerging cannabis sector since legalization in Canada. He has helped companies clients successfully navigate new regulation and rapid growth in the industry including complex advertising, licensing and consumer protection issues in British Columbia.
In the area of technology, Mahdi’s practice focuses on emerging blockchain technology businesses, including private equity investing, initial coin offerings, tokenization of products and regulatory advice. His advice regarding emerging blockchain and cryptocurrency markets is grounded in experience with securities regulators and public mergers and acquisitions.
In addition to transactional work, Mahdi advises public issuers on continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance, securities, financing and general corporate law matters. He has extensive experience with corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, public and private equity and debt financing transactions, and Canadian and foreign stock exchange listings. He has participated in numerous cross-border and international corporate finance and merger transactions.
Mahdi was recognized as one of Lexpert magazine’s Rising Stars: Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 in 2019 and also recognized as a leading lawyer in the agribusiness and cannabis industries in the 2020 Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis.
He is fluent in French and Farsi and has an intermediate level of Spanish.
- Member, Board of Directors, Capture Photography Festival (2020-present)
- Participant, “Sleep Out to Support Homeless Youth” Fundraiser (November 21, 2019)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Corporate Law (2022)
- A leading practitioner, Corporate Finance, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2020)
- Recognized in Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis (2020)
- Rising Stars Award, Lexpert Rising Stars: Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2019)
- Author, “With federal legislation, Canada emerges as a global leader in cannabis,” Marijuana Venture Magazine (September 2020)