Marek Coutu is a member of the MLT Aikins litigation team. He maintains a general litigation practice with a focus on commercial litigation, construction disputes and insolvency and restructuring.
- Counsel to numerous contractors and owners in construction disputes
- Counsel on numerous debtor-creditor disputes
- Counsel to insurers on various property claims
- Counsel to a secured creditor in a successful application to appoint a receiver over an insolvent car rental company
- Counsel to a court-appointed receiver of an insolvent company operating a hotel
- Counsel to a trustee in bankruptcy in an application determining the priority of a secured creditor holding a security interest in personal property, to the proceeds realized from the sale of land after an assignment in bankruptcy
- Counsel to a vehicle inspection company in a successful defence at trial to a claim of negligence by a construction company
- Counsel to railway companies in final offer arbitrations and service level arbitrations
Marek has experience with commercial litigation, insolvency and construction matters, representing clients in both court proceedings and in commercial arbitrations. Marek has appeared for clients before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court of Saskatchewan.
Marek is a graduate of the University of Saskatchewan, where he was the valedictorian of his graduating class at the College of Law. Marek also completed a Bachelor of Commerce at the Edwards School of Business. Prior to attending law school, he worked as an analyst at a large energy company and as an account representative at a large consumer products company.
- Vice President External Affairs, Law Students’ Association (2017-2018)
- Athletic Director, Law Students’ Association (2016-2017)
- Nasser Scholarship
- Walter and Ruth (Mortenson) Leverton Award
- Freedom 55 Financial Scholarship in Business
- CIC Aboriginal Student Award