The MLT Aikins construction litigation team has the experience and expertise you need to successfully and efficiently resolve all construction disputes, no matter the size or complexity.
- UMA/B&V Ltd. et al. v. SaskPower International et al., 2007 SKQB 40, 2007 SKCA 40, 2007 CanLII 40508 (S.C.C.). Successfully representing the owner in a trial lasting 18 months on a question of the limits of a professional service firm’s contractual liability in the construction of a power co-generation plant at a mine.
- Counsel for Cargill Canada Ltd. in a construction lawsuit related to delays and cost overruns that was successfully settled at pre-trial conference; see 2010 SKQB 231 for successful Summary Judgment defence.
- Counsel to an architectural firm in defence of allegations that a building design caused the acceleration of a fire that resulted in a total loss.
- Successfully defended a major pipeline manufacturer when a defect was alleged to have caused significant losses after installation. The case was settled many months into trial and the manufacturer was completely exonerated.
- Defended a mechanical engineering firm on a claim that their alleged negligent design caused pipes to freeze which in turn caused a flood and the virtual destruction of a newly constructed high-rise building. The engineering firm was absolved of all liability after trial (McNevin Construction v. George R Forrester et. al.)
- Defended an architectural firm on a claim that their design of gymnasium roof was negligent, requiring its removal and replacement. The architect was absolved of any liability after trial and on appeal (U. of Regina v. Pettick).
- Successfully defended a construction materials manufacturer at trial on a claim that its construction adhesive was the cause of a major fire that destroyed a building being renovated (Royal Canadian Legion, Humboldt v. Britz, Angelstead Bros. et. al).
From claims for extras to delays to deficiencies to cost-overruns and contractual disputes, our construction litigation group has a wide range of experience and expertise to assist you in resolving virtually any construction dispute, no matter how big or small. Our construction litigation group members have acted for project owners, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects, engineers, insurers and sureties in industrial, infrastructure, commercial and residential disputes. We focus on providing down-to-earth, practical, business oriented advice to efficiently manage and resolve conflicts and have a particular expertise in litigating complex construction disputes.