Deron Kuski has a practice as a litigator that spans a broad range of commercial litigation, construction litigation and all aspects of creditor and commercial leasing law.
- GMAC LeaseCo Limited v. Minister of National Revenue, 2002 SKCA 6, represented GMAC successfully against Canada Revenue Agency in relation to a priority dispute over title to leased vehicles.
- Whitefox Air Inc. v. Gunderson, 2009 SKPC 112, 2010 SKQB 251, 2011 SKQB 411, 2013 SKCA 105, successfully represented owner of aircraft in priority/ownership dispute with former CEO.
- Counsel for Weyburn Inland Terminal Ltd. in a Plan of Arrangement pursuant to Section 186.1 of The Saskatchewan Business Corporations Act and disputes with a dissident group of shareholders, 2013 SKQB 2090, 2014 SKQB 46, 2014 SKQB 157.
- Counsel for Cargill Canada Ltd. in a construction lawsuit related to delays and cost overruns that was successfully settled at pre-trial conference; see 2010 SKQB 231 for successful Summary Judgment defence.
- Counsel for commercial landlords and purchasers on several occasions in disputes with tenants or sellers regarding leases, options and agreements for sale, including Bryndan Holdings, 2003 SKQB 121; Royop Corporation, 2007 SKQB 86; Harvard Developments Inc., 2012 SKQB 73, 2012 SKCA 102; Cowessess TLE Holdings Inc., 2013 SKQB 65, 2013 SKQB 234, 2014 SKQB 234; 101090442 Saskatchewan Ltd., 2013 SKQB 112, 2014 SKCA 6.
- Counsel for several lenders and creditors in foreclosure, collection and receivership matters, including banks, financial institutions and other public and private lenders and creditors; led a team of lawyers and paralegals in pursuit of creditors’ rights in commercial, residential and farm lending scenarios: TD Bank 2000 SKQB 396; CIBC 2003 SKQB 136; CIBC 2004 SKQB 168; TD Bank 2005 SKQB 95; PMCI 2007 SKQB 185; TD Bank 2009 SKQB 253.
- Counsel for the pipe manufacturer in a case involving a leaking pipeline that concluded with a five-month trial.
- Hundreds of days of trial and arbitration experience representing owners, contractors, consultants in construction related disputes and also other commercial and contract disputes.
- UMA/B&V Ltd. et al. v. SaskPower International et al., 2007 SKQB 40, 2007 SKCA 40, 2007 CanLII 40508 (S.C.C.). Successfully representing the owner in a trial lasting 18 months on a question of the limits of a professional service firm’s contractual liability in the construction of a power co-generation plant at a mine.
Deron regularly represents clients in the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan, and is counsel of record in dozens of reported court decisions. He has extensive experience with arbitrations and mediations in Saskatchewan, Canada and internationally. His clients include owners, consultants and contractors on issues related to power plants, pipelines, processing facilities, recreational facilities, office buildings, residential and commercial developments, and many other major construction projects. He advises clients in the course of their projects to avoid disputes and assists in the resolution of disputes when they do arise.
Deron acts for banks, financial institutions, lessors and other creditors in receiverships, foreclosures, secured and unsecured claims, and other issues that arise in the areas of leasing and lending generally.
- Member (2007-present), Chair (2015, 2016), Premier’ s Golf Ball
- Director (2014-2016), Chair of Campaign Cabinet (2013-2014), Past Member (2002-2012), United Way Regina
- Co-Chair, 2013 Grey Cup Concerts Committee
- Chair (2012), Professional Section Chair (2006-2011), United Way Regina Campaign Cabinet
- Member, Premier’ s Dinner (Regina) Committee (2007-present)
- Member, Premier’ s Golf Tournament (Regina) (2007-present)
- Volunteer Coach, Community Football and Basketball Teams (1997-present)
- Saskatchewan High Schools Athletic Association (SHSAA)
- Regina Minor Football (RMF)
- Regina NFL Youth Flag Football (RYFF)
- Regina Community basketball Association (RCBA)
- “Comment on the Schwab Construction Ltd. Decisions of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench and Saskatchewan Court of Appeal,” Commercial Insolvency Reporter (June 2002)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Construction
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2014)
- One of Benchmark Canada’s “Future Litigation Stars” (since 2013)
- One of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation (since 2013)
- Alistair M. Nicol Prize (Saskatchewan, 1997)