Whether you’re a producer, distributor, retailer, service provider or an employer seeking legal advice, MLT Aikins can help you navigate your way through the new and rapidly expanding cannabis industry.
- Advised clients on cross-border travel, inadmissibility issues and the immigration of foreign workers specific to the cannabis industry.
- Acted for a client in connection with public offerings, private placements, listing transactions, acquisitions, continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance matters and equity compensation plans.
- Advised employers on workplace policies and procedures including testing protocols.
- Assisted Healius Naturals Ltd. in establishing a corporate structure to allow them to raise capital from outside investors and purchasing land on which to build their facility, in addition to providing general corporate advice.
- Advised municipalities dealing with jurisdictional, zoning, business licensing and enforcement issues related to medical cannabis and recreational cannabis.
- Filed trademark applications for cannabis retailers and related businesses.
- Filed a number of patent applications for cannabis-related technologies and designs, such as growth chambers, secure transportation devices and sales-tracking tools.
We draw on the expertise of lawyers from a broad range of practice areas to advise clients on the many legal issues related to cannabis, including:
We assist cannabis producers, distributors and retailers in complying with the legislative and regulatory requirements governing the industry.
We assist clients with matters relating to securities, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and financing strategies for transactions involving cannabis companies.
We help cannabis companies protect their intellectual property rights through trademark registrations and patent applications.
Labour and Employment
We help employers ensure they have appropriate workplace policies regarding cannabis consumption and drug and alcohol testing.
We provide legal counsel to licensed producers named in product liability suits.
We have the knowledge and depth in Western Canada to assist you in addressing the many issues that have arisen from the legalization of cannabis.