MLT Aikins offers a wide range of services to clients in the burgeoning Canadian cannabis industry. The regulation of cannabis in Canada is evolving rapidly as we move from the niche medical cannabis industry to one in which permits recreational use is permitted. This new paradigm brings with it a complex and wide-ranging series of legal issues for industry participants as well as others whose businesses may be indirectly affected by the legalization of cannabis.
- Advised a number of retail cannabis clients with their provincial license applications.
- Advised a retail cannabis chain with a going public transaction.
- Advised clients in the sale of intellectual property related to cannabis infused products.
- Advised a Health Canada Licensed Producer in its debt financing of a retail cannabis company.
- Advised clients on cross-border travel, inadmissibility issues and the immigration of foreign workers specific to the cannabis industry.
- Acted for a client in connection with public offerings, private placements, listing transactions, acquisitions, continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance matters and equity compensation plans.
- Advised employers on workplace policies and procedures including testing protocols.
- Assisted Healius Naturals Ltd. in establishing a corporate structure to allow them to raise capital from outside investors and purchasing land on which to build their facility, in addition to providing general corporate advice.
- Advised municipalities dealing with jurisdictional, zoning, business licensing and enforcement issues related to medical cannabis and recreational cannabis.
- Filed trademark applications for cannabis retailers and related businesses.
- Filed a number of patent applications for cannabis-related technologies and designs, such as growth chambers, secure transportation devices and sales-tracking tools.
Our team of experienced professionals has knowledge in wide range of areas relevant to Canada’s cannabis industry, including corporate finance, licensing and regulatory matters, tax, agribusiness, intellectual property, litigation and real estate. We also have significant experience and skill with employment law and workplace issues, which is relevant, in the context of recreational cannabis legalization, to all employers.
We offer legal services covering a wide range of areas in which the legalization of recreational cannabis intersects, or is likely to intersect in the future, with commercial activities and capital formation. These include:
- Corporate finance
- Research and development
- Employment and workplace matters
- Going public transactions
- Product Liability
- Distribution and retailing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Licensing and regulatory matters
- Intellectual property protection
We can help you understand and address the complex and evolving legal and regulatory issues and risks that inhabit the ever-changing recreational cannabis environment as it relates to your business. We look for the most practical and cost-effective solutions aimed at getting your business to where you want it to be.
We work with you as part of your team. We understand your business. Our job is to listen to you explain your goals and then to formulate and implement a strategy that is customized and tailored to your organization and the achievement of those goals. We do not take a one-size-fits-all approach.