The MLT Aikins health-care team provides diverse, quality service and works collaboratively with its clients in this area to ensure their success in the rapidly evolving health-care sector.
Our experience with the health-care sector includes providing advice on board governance, tax and general business, labour and employment law, privacy law, professional malpractice defence, labour standards and human rights matters, as well as substantive health law issues. We deal regularly with qualification and regulatory issues, both as they relate to professionals and health-care products. Our broad experience representing physicians and health organizations is augmented by the management experience of three of our senior partners who have served, or continue to serve, on the boards of management of acute care facilities.
On the business side of health care we have had notable assignments assisting lenders on mid- and large-sized debt financings for health-care devices, and have assisted health-care entities in the areas of health related technology, intellectual property protection, health record retention, health privacy compliance and the procurement of complex medical diagnostic equipment and software. We have been directly involved in significant electronic health record projects in western Canada, and have been selected as counsel for several projects for the Western Health Information Collaborative, a collaboration of the Departments of Health for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.
We have assisted the Saskatchewan Medical Association; primary care networks in Alberta; individual health-care facilities such as hospitals and continuing care facilities; regional health authorities; provincial health employer organizations; hospital foundations; provincial governments and health care-related agencies; individual physicians, their professional corporations and health-care clinics.
- V.P. Strategy and Risk Management with eHealth Saskatchewan (a six-month half-time secondment) to gain direct business experience and to assist the client to fast track the development of its strategy and information governance policies and protocols.
- Lead counsel (procurement, contracting, and privacy) for Saskatchewan’s Electronic Health Record Program (EHR); Pharmaceutical Information Program (PIP); Radiology Information System/Picture Achieving Communication System (RIS/PACS); Pan-Canadian Public Health Communicable Disease Surveillance and Management Project (Panorama); Shared Client Index (SCI); Sask Laboratory Results Repository (SLRR); and Physician Electronic Medical Records Program (EMR).
- Counsel to various health care organizations on procurement methods and best practices, service and supply contracts, trade agreement obligations construction contracts and disputes.
- Counsel to the Saskatchewan Health Shared Services Initiative in connection with the formation, organization and development of Health Shared Services Saskatchewan (3sHealth).
- Lead counsel to Saskatchewan Association of Health Organizations and various Health Regions on the litigation related to the constitutionality of The Public Service Essential Services Act and amendments to The Trade Union Act.