Milad Alishahi assists individuals and businesses with a broad range of corporate/commercial litigation matters focusing on contractual disputes, shareholders disputes, commercial landlord and tenant disputes, construction litigation, agribusiness disputes and municipal law.
Milad is an experienced lawyer practising broadly in the areas of commercial litigation, labour and employment and municipal law. Milad regularly advises commercial clients on a broad range of legal matters including on employment matters, contractual disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes and insured matters. He takes a practical, results-oriented approach to resolving complex disputes and legal issues.
He has appeared before all levels of Court in Saskatchewan, the Court of King’s Bench in Manitoba and various tribunals including the Saskatchewan Municipal Board. Milad gives practical legal advice on all municipal matters, including compliance with zoning, development and planning legislation, regulations and bylaws, all other municipal legislation, regulations, bylaws, bylaw enforcement, policies and procedures, procurement, expropriation, council member relations, administration relations and code of ethics/code of conduct violations.
- Stevens et al v Nicol Anderson, Regina City Manager, 2022 SKKB 270 (CanLII), successfully represented the Regina City Manager with respect to an application by a member of council seeking a writ of mandamus to compel the City Manager to include certain funding within the proposed budget for the City of Regina.
- Saskatchewan Safety Council v Sherwood (Rural Municipality), 2019 SKMB 118 (CanLII), involved a challenge of off-site development levies imposed by a rural municipality.
- Olive v Administrator of the Rural Municipality of Keys No. 303, 2020 SKQB 146, successfully represented the administrator in response to an application seeking an order of mandamus to compel the municipality to report on the sufficiency of a petition and to act upon the petition and put it to a referendum.
- Saskatchewan Safety Council v Rural Municipality of Sherwood No. 159, 2020 SKQB 1, successfully applied to the Court to quash a municipal resolution under s.358 of The Municipalities Act.
- Wilson Olive and Friends of the Aquifer v Keys (Rural Municipality), 2020 SKCA 124, successfully quashed an appeal on the grounds of mootness in relation to a decision by the municipality to approve a development application.
- Grayson (Rural Municipality) v Shawn Zamrykut, 2022 SKMB 117, successfully appealed a decision by the Development Appears Board to the Planning Appeals Committee, reinstating a stop work order in favour for the Municipality.
- Counsel for various commercial entities in the prosecution and defence of commercial and contractual disputes. For example: Baker Hughes Canada Company, 2016 SKQB 56; Fiesta Barbeques Limited and Wolfedale Engineering Limited, 2019 SKCA 114; Hailink Dent Removal Inc., 2018 SKQB 180; and Palimar Farms Inc., 2016 SKQB 232.
- Counsel for commercial landlords and tenants in relation to commercial tenancy disputes. For example: Boardwalk General Partnership, 2016 SKCA 38; Beacon Roofing Supply Canada Company, 2016 SKQB 248; and HCI Ventures Ltd., 2017 SKQB 264.
- Counsel for owners and contractors in relation to various construction disputes involving defective/negligent work, delay claims and payment disputes on commercial, residential and infrastructure projects.
- Counsel for corporations, directors and shareholders in relation to shareholder disputes, oppression claims, derivative claims, director’s breach of duties and other corporate litigation.
- Member, Board of Directors, SaskEnergy Incorporated (present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (SYPE) (Regina, 2015-present)
- Board Member, Red Cross Power of Humanity Gala (2014)
- Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity (2012)
- Volunteer, Salvation Army (2012)
- Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association (2015-present)
- SYPE (Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs)
- Pro-Bono Law of Saskatchewan (2013-present)
- Iranian Canadian Lawyers Association (2013-present)
- Presenter, “Legal Basics for Boards: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know”, Law Society of Saskatchewan Continuing Professional Development Seminar (March, 2019)
- Author, “How Can Residents Influence Municipal Bylaws?”, MLT Aikins Insights (April, 2019)
- Author, “Acquisitions of Saskatchewan Businesses: Will a Judicial Divide Regarding ‘Plans of Arrangement’ Deter Out-of-Province Businesses from Acquiring Saskatchewan Companies?” SaskBusiness Magazine (September, 2014)
- Co-author with Lynn Hnatick, “Proposed Regulatory Framework Respecting Security Holder Rights Plans: What Does It Mean for Saskatchewan?” CBA Saskatchewan Bar Notes (Winter, 2013)
- Pro Bono Service Award, Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan (2015)
- Academic Achievement List, York University (2009-2010)
- Entrance Scholarship, York University (2006)