Melissa is a senior associate in the firm’s business group practising in the areas of business, corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, business combinations, owner-operated enterprises, commercial leasing, commercial financing and certain regulatory matters with a focus on carrying on or operating a business in Manitoba.
- Regularly represents clients in merger and acquisition transactions involving local, national and international businesses.
- Provides assistance to clients with commercial financing, including cross-border financing transactions.
- Regularly advises clients in respect of commercial lease drafting and negotiation in commercial real estate transactions and in connection with broader transactions.
- Provides advice to national and international businesses, private companies, public companies, franchisors and other operations entering the Manitoba market with respect to consumer protection and general regulatory compliance matters, including assisting with the expansion and liaising with local regulators on behalf of an international retailer in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Consulted on a leading Manitoba case with respect to interpretation of The Franchises Act, C.C.S.M. c. F156 (Diduck v Simpson, 2018 MBQB 76).
Melissa has experience in the preparation and review of contracts and agreements, particularly relating to the purchase and sale of businesses, including providing advice in connection with and to give effect to share purchase transactions, asset purchase transactions, mergers and other business combinations and transitional matters. Her work extends to incorporation, corporate organization and corporate governance matters, including unanimous shareholder agreements and similar arrangements tailored to the needs of her clients.
Melissa also has experience advising businesses in connection with their marketing and promotional endeavours. She has a particular focus working on implementing and maintaining loyalty and reward programs with customers and clients, including the preparation and review of related terms and conditions of use, and navigating related regulatory compliance and consumer protection matters.
Melissa is also experienced with the review of Franchise Disclosure Documents and counseling emerging and established franchisor clients in a broad range of industries for compliance with Manitoba’s franchise and applicable regulatory framework.
- Legal Negotiations Workshop and Seminar Leader, Robson Hall Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba (2015-Present)
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association (2015-Present)
- Member, Canadian bar Association (2015-Present)
- Guest Lecturer, Instructor, Voluntary Judge and Advocacy Coach, Advanced Criminal Law Course, Criminal Justice (Honours) Program, University of Winnipeg (2012-2017)
- Executive Vice-President, Manitoba Law Students Association (2013-2014)
- Community Outreach Committee Chair, Manitoba Law Students Association (2012-2013)
- Member, Pro Bono Students Canada, Robson Hall Faculty of Law Chapter (2011-2013)
- Co-Author, “A Quantitative Study of a Drug Treatment Court in a Western Canadian City: Post-Sentencing and Reoffence Outcomes”, Canadian Journal of Criminology & Criminal Justice, 61(4) 45-68 (2019)
- Co-Author, “Retention and Classification in Drug Treatment Court”, Annual Interdisciplinary Review of Criminal Justice (2018)
- Co-Author, “Accessing Diversion from Custody: Retention and Classification in a Drug Treatment Court,” The Annual Review of Interdisciplinary Justice Research – Volume 7 (2018)
- Co-presenter with Pamela Hilderman, “Restrictive Covenants in a Corporate Transaction and Employment Context: An Overview and Discussion of Emerging Developments,” MBA Presentation for CCCA Section (February 6, 2018)
- Co-author with R. Reis Pagtakhan “Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers: The McDonald’s Case Study (Portillo v Canada)” (October 22, 2014)
- Impact Evaluation of the Winnipeg Drug Treatment Court (and SASSI-III) with Dr. M. Weinrath, Addictions Foundation of Manitoba (Winnipeg, 2010)
- Impact Evaluation of the Spotlight At-Risk Youth Program with Dr. M. Weinrath, G. Donatelli and M. Murchison, for Manitoba Corrections (Winnipeg, 2009)
- Presenter, “Due Process as a Disclaimer: A Critical Discussion of Drug Treatment Courts in Canada,” Practising Justice Conference, University of Winnipeg, (May 13-15, 2010)
- Co-presenter with R. Reis Pagtakhan, “Boxing with Kid Gloves: Why Temporary Foreign Workers Must Be Treated Differently than Canadian Employees” HRMAM Connect (HR and Leadership) Conference (October 30, 2014)
- Co-author with Todd W. Thomson and Bradley D. G. Zander, “Significant Amendments to National Instrument 45-106 Exemptions Announced” (March 19, 2015)
- Co-author with Todd W. Thomson and Bradley D. G. Zander “The Small Business Venture Capital Tax Credit Program in Manitoba – Are you Eligible?” (April 28, 2015)
- A. Montague Israels, Q.C. Prize Winner (2015)
- Honourable Archibald S. Dewar Prize for Advocacy (2014)
- McIntyre Cup Western Regional Moot Trial Competition Finalist (2014)
- First place, Solomon Greenberg Trial Advocacy Competition (2013)
- Finalist, American Bar Association Regional Negotiation Competition (2013)
- Second place, Robson Hall Negotiation Competition (2013)
- Neil James McDonald Memorial Prize for highest standing in Criminal Law (2012)
- D.A. Thompson, Q.C. Prize for highest standing in Constitutional Law (2011-2012)
- D.A. Thompson, Q.C. Prize for highest standing in Property Law (2011-2012)
- Max & Manly Isaacs Prize for highest standing in Legal Methods (2011-2012)
- Dean’s Honour List, Faculty of Law (2011-2012)