Michael is a civil litigator focusing on construction law and commercial disputes.
Michael practises civil litigation with a particular focus on construction law matters and commercial disputes. Michael is frequently consulted by owners, contractors, subcontractors, engineers, architects and suppliers to provide strategic advice in connection with construction projects. This includes preparation and review of contract documents, contractual disputes, employment issues, builders’ lien issues, bonding, sureties, insurance and statutory trusts.
He also regularly represents clients in commercial and shareholder disputes, insurance defence, product liability claims, defamation claims and tax litigation.
Michael has appeared before all levels of Court in Manitoba, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Tax Court of Canada and various hearing and arbitration panels for self-regulating organizations. He has also appeared as counsel in various arbitrations and mediations, particularly relating to construction disputes.
In 2016, he had the distinction of being selected to the seven-person committee, chaired by the Honourable Associate Chief Justice Perlmutter, tasked with preparing a report making recommendations for the new Manitoba Queen’s Bench Rules.
Michael has a particular interest in alternative dispute resolution and negotiation, and has extensive experience practising and teaching in this area. Michael was appointed as Canadian national representative to the International Negotiation Competition and coached the University of Manitoba negotiation team for more than a decade. Michael previously taught the negotiation course at Robson Hall and continues to conduct negotiation workshops for students in the Robson Hall negotiation course and for articling students in the CPLED program.
- Member, Winnipeg Construction Association (2018-present)
- Member, Queen’s Bench Rules Committee (2016-2018)
- Member, Law Society of Manitoba
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Co-chair, Manitoba Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Sessional Instructor, Negation, Robson Hall Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba (2015-2016)
- Learning Group Facilitator/Instructor, CPLED program in areas of negotiation and written advice and advocacy, Law Society of Manitoba (2013-present)
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, MS Society of Canada, Manitoba Division
- Past Director, Past Chair of Buildings and Project Committee, B’nai Brith Jewish Community Camp
- Lay Member, Peer Review Committee, Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association
- Member, Grants Committee, Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Past Member, Special Awards Committee, Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Past Director, Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art
- “Litigation Star,” Benchmark Litigation Canada (2019-present)
- “Future Star,” Benchmark Litigation Canada (2016-2018)
- Shem Tov Award for volunteerism, Jewish Federation of Manitoba (2018)
- Winner, International Negotiation Competition for Law Students, Singapore (2007)