Milad Alishahi assists individuals and businesses with a broad range of corporate/commercial litigation matters focusing on contractual disputes, shareholders disputes, commercial landlord and tenant disputes, construction litigation, agribusiness disputes and municipal law.
Milad is an experienced litigator practising broadly in the areas of commercial litigation and construction litigation. He has particular focus on municipal law and agribusiness. Milad regularly advises on contractual disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, insurance and agricultural claims. He takes a practical, results-oriented approach to resolving complex commercial disputes. He has appeared before all levels of Court in Saskatchewan, the Court of Queen’s Bench in Manitoba and various tribunals including the Saskatchewan Municipal Board.
- Counsel for various commercial entities in the prosecution and defence of commercial and contractual disputes. For example: Baker Hughes Canada Company, 2016 SKQB 56; Fiesta Barbeques Limited and Wolfedale Engineering Limited, 2019 SKCA 114; Hailink Dent Removal Inc., 2018 SKQB 180; and Palimar Farms Inc., 2016 SKQB 232.
- Counsel for commercial landlords and tenants in relation to commercial tenancy disputes. For example: Boardwalk General Partnership, 2016 SKCA 38; Beacon Roofing Supply Canada Company, 2016 SKQB 248; and HCI Ventures Ltd., 2017 SKQB 264.
- Counsel for owners and contractors in relation to various construction disputes involving defective/negligent work, delay claims and payment disputes on commercial, residential and infrastructure projects.
- Counsel for corporations, directors and shareholders in relation to shareholder disputes, oppression claims, derivative claims, director’s breach of duties and other corporate litigation.
- Counsel for various municipalities in relation to litigious disputes involving municipalities and general municipal advising. For example, the RM of Keys No. 303, 2019 SKMB 76.
- Saskatchewan Safety Council v Rural Municipality of Sherwood No. 159, 2020 SKQB 1.
- Olive v Administrator of the Rural Municipality of Keys No. 303, 2020 SKQB 146.
- Member, Board of Directors, SaskEnergy Incorporated (present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (SYPE) (Regina, 2015-present)
- Board Member, Red Cross Power of Humanity Gala (2014)
- Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity (2012)
- Volunteer, Salvation Army (2012)
- Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association (2015-present)
- SYPE (Saskatchewan Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs)
- Pro-Bono Law of Saskatchewan (2013-present)
- Iranian Canadian Lawyers Association (2013-present)
- Presenter, “Legal Basics for Boards: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know”, Law Society of Saskatchewan Continuing Professional Development Seminar (March, 2019)
- Author, “How Can Residents Influence Municipal Bylaws?”, MLT Aikins Insights (April, 2019)
- Author, “Acquisitions of Saskatchewan Businesses: Will a Judicial Divide Regarding ‘Plans of Arrangement’ Deter Out-of-Province Businesses from Acquiring Saskatchewan Companies?” SaskBusiness Magazine (September, 2014)
- Co-author with Lynn Hnatick, “Proposed Regulatory Framework Respecting Security Holder Rights Plans: What Does It Mean for Saskatchewan?” CBA Saskatchewan Bar Notes (Winter, 2013)
- Pro Bono Service Award, Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan (2015)
- Academic Achievement List, York University (2009-2010)
- Entrance Scholarship, York University (2006)