The MLT Aikins privacy team offers an exceptional breadth of experience regarding privacy issues faced by both public and private sector organizations. From health information to personal information to personal employee information, our team has handled and advised it all.
- Assistance with implementation of privacy policies and compliance plans for Saskatchewan regional health authorities, physician clinics and Alberta Primary Care Networks.
- Counsel of record for resolution of complaints with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (both provincial and federal).
- Legal and privacy support for the Saskatchewan Electronic Health Record project including: Saskatchewan Laboratory Results Repository (SLRR); Radiology Information and Picture Archival System (RIS/PACs); Primary Healthcare Project (PHC).
- Legal and privacy support for the Saskatchewan Medical Association (SMA) Electronic Health Record Program (EMR).
- Extensively advised a variety of private, public and governmental organizations regarding risk management strategies for privacy, technology-assisted information management and information sharing.
- Extensive advising regarding data protection requirements for commercial contracts and compliance management for private and public sector organizations.
- Wide-ranging experience regarding the handling and management of privacy complaints and breaches, and advocacy with respect to matters before the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (both provincial and federal).
Privacy laws demand attention to detail, and we help clients understand the requirements and implement plans to ensure compliance. Recognizing that each client’s needs and capacity to dedicate internal resources are unique, we assist in developing the most cost-effective mix of MLT Aikins and client resources to achieve the desired outcome.
Our work as counsel in the sensitive area of health records in Western Canada demonstrates our capabilities with privacy law. We act as counsel to the Privacy Sub-Committee of the Saskatchewan Health Region Chief Information Officer Forum. One of the principal mandates of this Sub-Committee is to develop privacy and security policies and procedures for implementation across all health regions in the Province of Saskatchewan. We have also actively participated in the development of privacy solutions and impact assessments for several e-health initiatives. However, our experience extends beyond privacy matters facing the health-care sector. We have advised a wide variety of organizations, from public bodies such as governmental departments, municipalities and school boards, to private sector companies such as retailers, payment processors and research organizations, regarding management of personal customer and employee information, data protection requirements and management of privacy complaints or breaches.
If you would like information about General Data Protection Regulation and what it means for Canadian organizations, please submit your request using the form below. You will receive an email with download instructions.