Information Technology (IT)
The MLT Aikins information technology team helps you get the most out of your IT solutions and suppliers. We focus on creating win-win business relationships using our extensive industry and legal experience.
- Counsel to Federated Co-operatives Ltd. in the negotiation and documentation of a major IT outsourcing services agreement.
- Mining Company IT Outsourcing: Lead counsel for a mining company for a large and complex SAP implementation.
- Complex Public Sector IT Procurement Project: Lead counsel for a complex multi-vendor IT outsourcing arrangement for a key public registry in Saskatchewan including assistance with procurement, contracting, ongoing governance, and vendor management.
- Acting for a Saskatchewan Crown Corporation in respect of a customer information system (CIS) implementation project and subsequent ongoing application management, infrastructure support and disaster recovery services.
- Counsel for a Saskatchewan Treasury Board Crown Corporation in the negotiation and drafting of a complex design, build and construction and long-term colocation services arrangement.
- Outside counsel to SaskEnergy Incorporated in the negotiation and implementation of its Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Solution.
- Ongoing adviser to Credit Union Electronic Account Management Services Association (CEAMS) in connection with its acquisition, licensing and implementation of electronic on-line account management, financial services and financial support services systems and software for use by CEAMS’s member credit unions.
Our lawyers understand the unique interaction of information technology and the law. Many have educational and professional backgrounds in the IT industry and all have experience with IT contracting for entities of all shapes and sizes, including clients in Health Care, Credit Unions and Co-operatives and Mining & Natural Resources. We stay involved in the IT community and regularly post about new developments on our Technology Adviser Insights.
Our approach to IT contracting is informed by our understanding of the business environment. We aim to create lasting, successful relationships between your organization and your IT service providers. Our contract negotiations focus on:
- Managing the business service levels (i.e. user and customer satisfaction) not managing every IT service level
- Negotiating an agreement that can be managed by both the customer and the suppliers with the need for contract management teams on both sides
- Good service governance and relations, with emphasis on multi-vendor environments
- Creating flexible arrangements that allow for growth and technology changes that protect your organization from price gouging
We have experience with all aspects of information technology service procurement and contracting, including:
- Licensing agreements
- Software development and implementation agreements
- Software maintenance and support agreements
- Hardware purchase and maintenance agreements
- Service bureau and data centre agreements
- Marketing and distribution agreements
- Project reviews and rescues
- E-commerce initiatives
Your organization is facing risk from cybersecurity threats on a daily basis and you must react quickly if a security incident or data breach occurs. We can help assess and prepare in advance for these kinds of risks, and work with you to respond when an incident occurs: