MLT Aikins provides comprehensive service for the trucking, rail and air transportation industries, acting for shippers, carriers and various levels of government. Our work in this area includes licence requirements, acquisitions and mergers, final offer arbitrations, level of service cases, rates, confidential contracts, facility relocations, and safety – as well as all manner of appearances before the various administrative or regulatory tribunals exercising jurisdiction in this field. Our team has extensive experience before the Canadian Transportation Agency and related appeals.
- Extensive experience in conducting final offer arbitrations pursuant to the Canada Transportation Act of freight rate disputes with federal rail carriers on behalf of shippers.
- Retained as special adviser on behalf of the Province of British Columbia to provide advice on shipper issues relating to the disposition of British Columbia Railway.
- Regularly provide policy advice to national shipper organizations together with legal opinions on application of federal and provincial legislation on members.
- Prepared submissions and appeared before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Transportation relating to proposed regulatory changes to federal legislation.
- Prepared and submitted level of service disputes to Canadian Transportation Agency.
- Prepared and participated on running rights applications.
- Extensive experience in preparation of complaints and filing legal arguments with the Canadian Transportation Agency on discontinuance and abandonment of branch rail lines.
- One of lead counsel in establishing international cargo airline including preparation of all filings and obtaining licensing on a contested basis from the Canadian Transportation Agency.
- Litigation of air accident claims and representing the interests of airlines.
- Provided advice on federal air legislation and its impact on air carriers.
- Provided advice relating to operation of airport authorities.
- Prepared specific use bills of lading for carriers and shippers.
- Obtained regulatory approvals for special use bills of lading.
- Obtained all requisite licensing for motor transport operations on behalf of trucking companies including registration in required jurisdictions throughout Canada.
- Extensive experience in litigation of bill of lading issues.
- Litigation of cargo claims and carrier/shipper disputes.