Andy is a seasoned patent and trademark lawyer with experience in drafting, filing and prosecuting applications for patents, trademarks, industrial designs and copyrights, and acting for clients in contentious matters such as trademark opposition and expungement proceedings.
Andy is a registered Canadian patent agent and Canadian trademark agent. As a registered U.S. patent agent and a trademark agent recognized by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Andy is also authorized to act on patent and trademark matters before the USPTO for parties located in Canada.
He has litigated cases before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal, and is well versed in preparing license agreements, assignments, settlement agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
Outside the legal field, Andy spent more than 10 years as a combat engineer with the Canadian Forces Army Reserve.
Before studying law, he studied science at the University of British Columbia and authored a thesis, Investigations into the Presence of Leptin in Pancreatic Islets.
- Litigated a three-week trial before the Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Acting for clients on contentious patent and trademark matters, including trademark oppositions and trademark expungement proceedings
- Preparing for and conducting examinations for discovery
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2013 – present)
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (2016 – present)
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (2017 – present)
- Member, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (British Columbia)
- Co-presenter, Roving Webinar on WIPO Services and Initiatives organized by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) – Protecting your Trademarks Internationally, Protecting your Designs Internationally (May 2021)
- Co-presenter, IPIC’s 2020 Year in Review – Patent Law Update (February 2021)
- Author, Investigations into the Presence of Leptin in Pancreatic Islets (2008)
- Steven Dorfman Memorial Award (2010)
- Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP Prize in Industrial and Intellectual Property (2010)