Andy is a seasoned patent and trademark lawyer with experience in drafting, filing and prosecuting applications for patents, trademarks, industrial designs and copyrights, and acting for clients in contentious matters such as trademark opposition and expungement proceedings.
Andy is a registered Canadian patent agent and Canadian trademark agent. As a registered U.S. patent agent and a trademark agent recognized by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Andy is also authorized to act on patent and trademark matters before the USPTO for parties located in Canada.
He has litigated cases before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal, and is well versed in preparing license agreements, assignments, settlement agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
Outside the legal field, Andy spent more than 10 years as a combat engineer with the Canadian Forces Army Reserve.
Before studying law, he studied science at the University of British Columbia and authored a thesis, Investigations into the Presence of Leptin in Pancreatic Islets.
- Peak Innovations Inc. et al. v. Plastival Inc. (Federal Court File No. T-1637-07) – patent infringement and industrial design infringement case
- Coast Hotels Limited v. British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. (Federal Court File No. T-838-11) – challenge against official mark, Canadian Trademark Application No. 920,841 for CoastSaver & Design
- Northwest Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Ltd. v. Northwest Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Ltd. et al. (BC Supreme Court File No. S-124658) – trademark passing-off case
- Coastland Engineering & Surveying Ltd. v. KM Civil Consultants Ltd et al. (Federal Court File No. T-343-12) – copyright infringement case
- No Limits Sportswear Inc. v. 0912139 B.C. Ltd., 2014 BCCA 258; 2015 BCCA 193; 2015 BCSC 339; 2015 BCSC 1698 – breach of confidence case
- C.G. Punjani Investments Ltd. v. Home Depot International, Inc. – trademark opposition proceeding against Canadian Trademark Application No. 1,583,419 for HOME ACCENTS
- Marcon Investments Ltd. v. Miracon Holdings Inc. – trademark opposition proceeding against Canadian Trademark Application No. 1655627 for MIRACON
- Lap Chi Duong v. Hockey Canada (Federal Court File Nos. T-1564-18, T-1565-18, T-1566-18) – challenge against official marks, Canadian Trademark Application No. 925135 for CANADA HALF MAPLE LEAF DESIGN, No. 925133 for CANADA CUP, and No. 925134 for CANADA CUP 1984 DESIGN
- Homer TLC, Inc. v C.G. Punjani Investments Ltd., 2018 TMOB 37 – trademark expungement proceeding against Canadian Trademark Registration No. TMA414,246 for HOME ACCENTS
- Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc. v. Dream Education Inc. et al. (BC Supreme Court File No. S-191476) – trademark infringement and copyright infringement case
- Linden Fabricating Ltd. v. Lar-Co Sales Ltd. et al. (BC Supreme Court File No. S-1911266) – patent ownership case
- Advantage Gutters Inc. v. Advantage Roofing Ltd. et al. (Federal Court File No. T-1586-19) – trademark passing-off case
- Hutchingame Growth Capital Corporation v. Dayton Boot Co. Enterprises Ltd., 2019 FCA 152 – appeal of a decision setting aside the recordal of a trademark transfer
- Red Truck Beer Company Ltd. v. Coca-Cola Ltd. – trademark expungement proceeding against Canadian Trademark Registration No. TMA682,009 for SPRITE REMIX
- Keezio Group, LLC v. The Shrunks’ Family Toy Company Inc. et al. (BC Supreme Court File No. S-1914059) – trademark passing-off and copyright infringement case
- DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society v. 1075504 B.C. Ltd. doing business as DIVERCITY VILLAGE et al. (BC Supreme Court File No. S-221364) – trademark passing-off case
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2013 – present)
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (2016 – present)
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (2017 – present)
- Member, International Standing Committee on Client Attorney Privilege (2022 – present)
- Chair, AIPPI Canada’s Trademarks Committee (2022)
- Member, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (British Columbia)
- Co-presenter, Roving Webinar on WIPO Services and Initiatives organized by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) – Protecting your Trademarks Internationally, Protecting your Designs Internationally (May 2021)
- Co-presenter, IPIC’s 2020 Year in Review – Patent Law Update (February 2021)
- Author, Investigations into the Presence of Leptin in Pancreatic Islets (2008)
- Steven Dorfman Memorial Award (2010)
- Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP Prize in Industrial and Intellectual Property (2010)