Ryan Lepage practises litigation involving complex commercial disputes. He has been involved in proceedings before various trial and appellate level courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Viterra Inc. et al., 2017 FCA 6, counsel for Canadian National Railway before the Federal Court of Appeal in a successful appeal under the Canada Transportation Act, overturning a decision of the Canadian Transportation Agency in relation to the level of service provided by the railway in the context of the historic grain crop of 2013.
- BHP Billiton Canada Inc. v. Alto Construction Ltd., QB No. 989 of 2016 – Counsel for BHP Billiton Canada Inc. in an action involving indirect costs associated with construction of a cold storage warehouse and construction delays.
- BHP Billiton Canada Inc. v. Clean Harbors Lodging Services, QB No. 1247 of 2015 – counsel for BHP Billiton Canada Inc. in an action involving a dispute over a camp services contract and asset rental costs associated with the same due to delayed demobilization.
- Jackson v. Canadian National Railway, 2015 ABCA 89, recovering over $400,000 in costs relating to the successful defence of a significant class action. As of its issuance, the cost award represented the largest reported quantum to date in the context of Alberta class proceedings.
- Saskatoon & Region Home Builders’ Association Inc. v. The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada, 2014 SKQB 89, counsel for the Children’s Wish Foundation in a successful application for summary judgment regarding the use of provincial lottery proceeds. The application resulted in costs awarded to the Foundation on a solicitor and client basis for the first time in the context of the revised summary judgment regime in Saskatchewan.
- Anstead v Saskatchewan Medical Association, 2014 SKQB 406, defending the Saskatchewan Medical Association in class action proceedings by a group of physicians based on allegations of a breach of a duty of fair representation and breach of fiduciary duty in negotiations on their behalf with the Ministry of Health.
- Canadian National Railway Co. v. McKercher LLP, 2013 SCC 39, counsel for Canadian National Railway before the Supreme Court of Canada in a successful appeal on a landmark decision clarifying a lawyer’s duty of loyalty to clients, as well as the scope of conflicts of interest rules governing the legal profession in Canada. The decision was named by Lexpert Magazine as the most significant case in Canadian litigation for 2013.
- Jackson v. Canadian National Railway, 2013 ABCA 440, aff’g 2012 ABQB 652 (leave to appeal to SCC dismissed May 29, 2014, SCC No. 35730), successfully representing the defendant railways on an appeal of the dismissal of an application for certification of a class action seeking hundreds of millions of dollars as a result of the alleged overcharging for carriage of grain in western Canada and the granting of an application for summary judgment in favour of the railways.
- Represented Mosaic Potash (Esterhazy) Ltd. in a significant action involving potash reserves and mining practices in motions and appeals, including a leading appellate decision on interlocutory injunctive relief in Saskatchewan (Mosaic Potash Esterhazy Limited Partnership v. Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc., 2011 SKCA 120).
- Fission Energy Corporation, successfully resisting an application under The Crown Minerals Act challenging significant mineral claims granted in Northern Saskatchewan.
- Schofield v. City of Saskatoon, QB No. 1074 of 2011 (unreported order dated June 14, 2012), representing the City of Saskatoon in successfully resisting an attempt to certify a class action relating to a dispute over contributions to and benefits from a pension plan spanning a 42-year period.
Ryan Lepage practices in complex commercial litigation and arbitration. He has experience with significant class actions, insurance, regulatory and construction litigation. He has appeared before the trial and appellate courts in Saskatchewan and Alberta, the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Summary Judgment in Saskatchewan, CBA Midwinter Meeting (2015)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Award of Distinction for Top Bar Admission Course Performance (2011)
- American College of Trial Lawyers’ Best Overall Advocate Award, Sopinka Cup National Trial Competition (2010)
- Best Cross-Examination, Sopinka Cup National Trial Competition (2010)
- Best Examination in Chief, Sopinka Cup National Trial Competition (2010)