Banking & Commercial Lending
Banking and financing transactions are critical to business. Our extensive experience across Western Canada in financing transactions for both lenders and borrowers ensures practical and solution-oriented advice over a broad range of secured and unsecured commercial, syndicated and project financings, asset-based lending, leasing, subordinated debt arrangements, securitization and consumer credit across the full industry spectrum.
Our team can work with its banking and commercial lending/borrowing clients to assess risks, negotiate and document terms and transactions, and ensure that business objectives are met in a timely and expert manner.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- Project and business debt financing (secured and unsecured), including agribusiness debt facilities, construction financing, inventory financing, lending to Indigenous groups and businesses, production and other entertainment financing, syndications, revolving credit, operating and term facilities, multi-currency loans and cross-collateralization transactions.
- Equipment leasing and asset-backed lending including securitizations
- Acquisition and asset-based financing and non- and limited-recourse project financings
- Mezzanine loans, subordinated loans and convertible debt financings
- Structuring and negotiating subordination and priority arrangements
- Revolving and operating credit facilities to mining and energy sector borrowers including production and exploration companies, mid-stream energy companies, oilfield service companies and publicly-traded entities
- Inventory financing by suppliers
- Debtor-in-possession financing
- Purchase and sale of mortgage, lease, loan and credit card portfolios
- Compliance with financial services regulatory requirements including consumer lending requirements
- Counsel to a lender providing a $30 million credit facility to a publicly traded mining company secured principally by the borrower’s mineral holdings
- Lead counsel for the lender in the refinancing, restructuring and subsequent expansion of one of Western Canada’s largest food processors, a series of transactions involving U.S. interests in addition to local shareholders
- Counsel to Concentra Financial Services Association on its commercial leasing and asset-based lending business
- Counsel to an agricultural and construction equipment dealer on commercial leasing matters
- Counsel to Calgary-based pipeline firm on a $760 million syndicated credit facility
- Counsel to Winnipeg-based oil and gas producer on a $900 million syndicated credit facility
- Counsel to Calgary-based energy marketing firm on a $150 million syndicated credit facility
- Counsel to CIBC on a $475 million credit facility for a Winnipeg-based agribusiness