Real Estate Financing
The MLT Aikins real estate financing team serves institutional lenders, loan servicers, banks, credit unions, insurance companies and private lenders in lending and loan servicing transactions throughout Western Canada and beyond. We can structure the deal, help get it secured and follow through on defaults and foreclosures.
Our lawyers regularly negotiate and document a wide range of financing transactions, including corporate lending, commercial lending, asset-based lending, letters of credit facilities, project finance, real estate finance, mezzanine and other subordinated debt financing and all other types of loan transactions. We also provide all of the necessary due diligence to help our clients evaluate risks and to balance business, operational and legal needs.
We have worked with a diverse group of lenders who have provided credit to a wide range of industries including manufacturing, technology, agribusiness, natural resources and forestry. We also regularly act for administrative agents and large lending syndicates.
Our lawyers are a trusted resource for institutional lenders, loan servicers, banks, credit unions, insurance companies and private lenders. From providing advice on term sheets and loan commitments to closing and post-closing delivery, we provide comprehensive assistance with all types of financing transactions.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- Loan servicing, including assumptions, amendments, syndications and transfers of loans
- Bank loans
- Construction loans
- Mezzanine loans, subordinated loans, convertible debt financings
- Default resolution, foreclosures, bankruptcy and receiverships
- Structuring and negotiating complex subordination and priority arrangements
- Counsel for a lender on financing totalling $83 million for various retirement residence projects in Regina
- Counsel to a significant regional lender on numerous lending transactions on real estate in Western Canada, including apartments, town houses, condos and other properties, including many in Fort McMurray
- Counsel for a lender on a $39 million financing on a Saskatoon Shopping Centre
- Saskatchewan counsel for a bank for refinancing totalling $45 million provided to a national retailer having multiple retail locations throughout Canada
- Lead counsel for the lender in the refinancing, restructuring and subsequent expansion of one of Western Canada’s largest food processors, a series of transactions involving U.S. interests in addition to local shareholders
- Counsel for a lender that provides financing to condominium corporations for completing improvements and repairs to common areas and facilities
- Saskatchewan counsel for the lender in the $65 million financing of a large livestock operation
- Saskatchewan counsel for a foreign lender providing credit facilities in the amount $300 million to a mining company
- Counsel for a lender on a $36 million financing of a Regina office building