Deirdre is a general corporate/commercial lawyer who works with a wide range of clients – from start-ups to large privately held companies – in the retail, hospitality, real estate, manufacturing and health sectors.
Deirdre regularly advises entrepreneurs on business formation, organization and compliance matters and is highly experienced in corporate M&A, reorganizations and restructurings. She has negotiated and drafted contracts for numerous business transactions, including the acquisition and disposition of assets and shares. She also helps clients access bank and equity financing.
With years of experience in the liquor and hospitality industry, as legal counsel to various restaurant and brewery groups, Deirdre has gained invaluable insight into the specific legal challenges faced by those in the industry. She has an in-depth understanding of the need to balance legal compliance with the practical demands of operating a business, and can offer a unique perspective to clients, being a business owner herself.
Deirdre also has considerable experience working with clients in the veterinary industry. She has acted for numerous veterinary practices in Alberta and regularly advises clients on share structuring, compliance matters with the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the Practice Inspection and Practice Standards (PIPS) Committee.
She has a keen interest in legal drafting and advising on potential risks and the implications of various contractual provisions. Deirdre is proficient in corporate drafting including shareholder and partnership agreements, as well as commercial arrangements including sale of goods agreements, service agreements and property co-ownership and management agreements. She regularly advises on commercial leasing matters and represents clients in commercial real estate transactions.
- Advisor, Olds College Industry Advisory Committee, Brewmaster & Brewery Operations Management Program (2017-present)
- Director and Secretary, Alberta Small Brewers Association (2013-present)
- Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law Subsection Member (2010-present)
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Subsection Member (2010-present)
- Canadian Bar Association, Commercial Real Property Subsection Member (2010-present)
- Calgary Bar Association Member
- Law Society of Alberta
- Top 40 Under 40, Avenue Magazine (2015)