Jodi is a dynamic litigator practising primarily in corporate and tax litigation, with extensive experience working on lengthy, complex actions. She is energetic, dependable and focused on obtaining practical solutions for clients.
- Counsel for an owner engaged in a dispute with an EPC contractor in relation to an industrial chemical plant.
- Zurich Life Insurance Company Limited v. Branco, 2015 SKCA 71, overturning, as new counsel brought in for the appeal, a trial judgment that had previously been the largest punitive damages award against an insurer in Canadian history.
- Successfully represented the defendants in a complex estate and trust action complicated by commercial matters including oppression claims in Alberta, resulting in all claims being dismissed after a six-week trial, with the trial judgment being upheld on appeal, and leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada dismissed.
- UMA/B&V Ltd. et al. v. SaskPower International et al., 2007 SKQB 40, 2007 SKCA 40, 2007 CanLII 40508 (S.C.C.). Successfully representing the owner in a trial lasting 18 months on a question of the limits of a professional service firm’s contractual liability in the construction of a power co-generation plant at a mine.
Jodi’s experience includes litigation involving contract and shareholder disputes, succession plans and trusts and construction. She also practices in the area of tax litigation and tax dispute resolution. She has significant trial experience and has appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. Jodi has extensive experience in ediscovery techniques, including the use of TAR and predictive analytics on matters involving significant volumes of data in the document production process. Jodi clerked with the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
- Chair, Selections Committee for the YWCA Regina Women of Distinction Awards
- Member, Grey Cup 2013 Planning Committee
- Law Division Chair, United Way Campaign Cabinet
- “Developing Tomorrow’s Leaders,” Sixth Edition Women in Leadership Conference (CWI) (April 2015)
- “Pitfalls to Avoid with Releases,” The Saskatchewan Advocate 13:2, 11 (June 2011)
- “GMO Contamination: Are GMOs Pollutants under the Environmental Management and Protection Act?”, 66 Sask. L. Rev. 183 (2003)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 (Lexpert, 2013)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal (2003)
- William Elliott Entrance Scholarship – College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2000)