Jodi’s practice is focused on commercial litigation. She has significant experience working on complex disputes in construction litigation, including large multifaceted arbitrations.
Commercial & Construction Litigation
- Counsel for an owner in a dispute with contractors in relation to the construction of a carbon capture facility, including significant delay and deficiency claims.
- UMA/B&V Ltd. et al. v. SaskPower International et al., 2007 SKQB 40, 2007 SKCA 40, 2007 CanLII 40508 (S.C.C.). Successfully representing the owner in a trial lasting 18 months on a question of the limits of a professional service firm’s contractual liability in the construction of a power co-generation plant at a mine.
- SaskEnergy Incorporated v ADAG Corporation Canada Ltd., 2019 SKQB 263 – successfully represented SaskEnergy (lessee/purchaser) in a lawsuit over the validity of an option to purchase its head office building arising out of a commercial lease.
- Successfully represented the defendants in a complex estate and trust action complicated by commercial matters including oppression claims in Alberta, resulting in all claims being dismissed after a six-week trial, with the trial judgment being upheld on appeal, and leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Counsel to the Government of Saskatchewan on the carbon tax appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Saskatchewan v. Racette, 2020 SKCA 2, as new counsel on appeal for the Government of Saskatchewan, successfully obtained a new trial on liability and damages after a civil jury awarded $5 million in damages against the Government.
- Zurich Life Insurance Company Limited v. Branco, 2015 SKCA 71, overturning, as new counsel brought in for the appeal, a trial judgment that had previously been the largest punitive damages award against an insurer in Canadian history.
Jodi has extensive experience representing owners in disputes arising from large scale construction and engineering projects, including projects involving clean energy and industrial infrastructure. This includes significant multi-million dollar claims involving breach of contract, deficiency claims and delay claims in both litigation and arbitration. Jodi has a proven track record leading large document intensive constructions files and managing diverse teams of professionals, including experts and claims consultants. Jodi also advises clients during the course of projects to avoid disputes and manage risk.
Jodi has significant experience on complex commercial disputes, including property claims, shareholder disputes, and succession plans and trusts. She has extensive trial and appellate experience and has appeared before the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. Jodi clerked with the Alberta Court of Appeal and the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
- Chair, Selections Committee for the YWCA Regina Women of Distinction Awards
- Member, Grey Cup 2013 Planning Committee
- Former Law Division Chair, United Way Campaign Cabinet
- “Managing E-Discovery and Legal Privilege In the Digital Age”, 2018 CBA Saskatchewan Branch Mid-Winter Meeting (February 2018)
- “Developing Tomorrow’s Leaders,” Sixth Edition Women in Leadership Conference (CWI) (April 2015)
- “Pitfalls to Avoid with Releases,” The Saskatchewan Advocate 13:2, 11 (June 2011)
- “GMO Contamination: Are GMOs Pollutants under the Environmental Management and Protection Act?”, 66 Sask. L. Rev. 183 (2003)
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 (Lexpert, 2013)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal (2003)
- William Elliott Entrance Scholarship – College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2000)