With extensive education and experience in the sciences, and her former role as in-house legal counsel to a multi-national agribusiness, Kristal Allen adds a wealth of practical and industry knowledge to her legal expertise when advising clients in the technology and agribusiness sectors.
- Counsel to numerous ag-biotech and crop input businesses regarding a wide range of matters, including intellectual property protection of proprietary seed and chemical products, regulatory matters, licensing and technology commercialization, retailing/distribution issues, producer/grower contracts, seed production and manufacturing agreements, warehousing and transportation agreements, and asset purchases, sales and divestitures
- Counsel to various financial institutions regarding regulatory compliance (including without limitation with respect to OSFI and PCI standards), and acquisition, licensing and implementation of key third-party technology related to core product portfolios, including proprietary software, banking platforms, mobile, online and telephone banking services, personal financial management services, and business intelligence services
- Counsel to major e-commerce payment processor regarding intellectual property management and protection, technology development, regulatory compliance, and service and software licensing arrangements with its global client base
- Counsel to the Aquistore Project, a major collaborative initiative of the Petroleum Technology Research Centre and its industry partners to demonstrate the effectiveness of the underground storage of carbon dioxide
- Leader in implementation of governance strategies, privacy policies and compliance plans for regional health authorities, physician clinics and primary care networks
- Extensive advisory experience with respect to a wide variety of private, public and governmental organizations regarding risk management strategies for privacy, technology-assisted information management and information sharing
- Extensive advisory experience regarding data protection requirements for commercial contracts and compliance management for private and public sector organizations, both domestic and international
- Wide-ranging experience regarding the handling and management of privacy complaints and breaches, and advocacy with respect to matters before the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (both provincial and federal)
Kristal Allen returned to MLT Aikins after several years as senior legal counsel and chief privacy officer to a large public company with operations across the globe. Kristal’s practice focus is on the management, exploitation and commercialization of information and intellectual property assets and new technology. She has extensive experience with research consortium arrangements, technology development and commercialization agreements, intellectual property portfolio management, and both in- and out-licensing. She is experienced in all areas of information technology, including software development and licensing, outsourcing and service agreements.
Kristal also brings knowledge of risk management and policy development related to data sharing, electronic documents, information assets and privacy. She has advised both private and public sector organizations extensively regarding health, employee and customer information privacy matters.
Kristal draws upon her experience in the life sciences and technology industries in her practice. Before becoming a lawyer, she held a variety of positions in areas such as technical marketing, regulatory and new product research and development for major life sciences companies, providing advice to producers, marketers and regulators. She has conducted research on an array of matters relating to biotechnology, transportation and international trade.
- Articling Student Evaluator, CPLED Program, Legal Education Society of Alberta (2009-present)
- Director, Regina Humane Society (2007-2009)
- Director, Regina and District Food Bank (2005-2006)
- Seed Licensing Agreement Primer: Single-Use Seed Agreements, Canadian Seed Trade Association 92nd Annual Meeting (2015)
- Organizational Membership Agreements, Canadian Plant Technology Agency, Annual General Meeting (2015)
- Managing Big Data and Cloud Computing, Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists, Annual Convention (2015)
- Legal Issues in Innovation and IP Commercialization, client seminar (2014)
- Using Legal Tools to Promote Innovation, client seminar (2013)
- Governance presentations to various industry organizations in the health care, not-for-profit, technology startup and resource sectors
- Privacy and security training sessions to various organizations in the health care, technology and professional services sectors
- Presentations regarding the use of privacy impact assessments, and management and mitigation of identified risk to various organizations in the health care, technology and professional services sectors
- J. Barrie Thompson Entrance Scholarship (University of Saskatchewan College of Law, 2001)