Dan Shapiro is an articling student with MLT Aikins. Dan completed his JD at the University of Calgary. He was awarded the W. Bernie Kelly, Q.C. Memorial Prize for highest standing in a professional ethics course and named Most Outstanding Speaker in the 2017 Blackstone Medals Debate.
Prior to attending law school, Dan worked for eight years as a researcher at a Calgary think tank focused on ethical leadership, human rights and civil liberties. Before that, he taught philosophy at the university level. In his first career, Dan was a professional chef and earned his Red Seal as a Journeyman Cook.
Dan worked at MLT Aikins during both summers of law school before returning as an articling student in 2017.
- Case Worker, Student Legal Assistance (2014-2017)
- Planning Committee Member and Moderator, Rural Energy and Agriculture Law Small and Regional Firm Networking Event (2015)
- Founding Member and Director, Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association (2009-2012)
- Editor (with Janet Keeping and Gillian Steward), Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
- Editor (with Heather MacIntosh), Gender, Culture and Religion: Tackling Some Difficult Questions, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
Chapters in Books:
- “What Does It Mean for Speech to be Offensive?” in Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
- “What Now for the Ethics of Debate?” in Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
Reports and Articles:
- Editor/Co-Author (with Janet Keeping), Toward Equal Opportunity for all Albertans: Recommendations for Improvement of the Alberta Human Rights Commission, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2009)
- Co-Author (with Janet Keeping), “Global Citizenship: What Is It, and What Are Our Ethical Obligations as Global Citizens?”, LawNow (July/Aug 2008)
- Written and oral presentation to the Select Special Conflicts of Interest Act Review Committee of the Alberta Legislature (June 2013)
- “Should Racist and Homophobic Speech be Prohibited by Human Rights Laws?”, Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies Conference (June 2011)
- “Recommended Changes to s.3 of the Alberta Human Rights Act,” Alberta Press Council (June 2009)
- “Freedom of Expression in Canada: Offensive Speech and the Limits of Tolerance,” Kwantlen Polytechnic University (March 2009)
- “The Ethics of ‘Reasonable Accommodation’ in the Post-Secondary Context,” University of Calgary (March 2009)
- Scott Venturo LLP Scholarship in Insurance Law (Calgary, 2017)
- Billington/Baker Cup – Most Outstanding Speaker, Blackstone Medals Debate (Calgary, 2017)
- Blackstone Debate Medal (Calgary, 2017)
- Louise McKinney Scholarship (Calgary, 2016)
- W. Bernie Kelly, Q.C. Memorial Prize (Calgary, 2016)