Dan Shapiro practises commercial litigation, with a focus on construction and insurance disputes, and labour and employment law.
Dan carries on a general commercial litigation practice focused on construction and insurance disputes and debt collection.
He also assists employers with preventive employment practices and defending claims relating to severance obligations, dismissal and human rights.
Prior to entering the legal field, Dan worked for eight years as a researcher on governance, human rights and civil liberties. Before that, he taught philosophy at the university level and earned his Red Seal as a Journeyman Cook.
- Case Worker, Student Legal Assistance (2014-2017)
- Planning Committee Member and Moderator, Rural Energy and Agriculture Law Small and Regional Firm Networking Event (2015)
- Founding Member and Director, Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association (2009-2012)
- Editor (with Janet Keeping and Gillian Steward), Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
- Editor (with Heather MacIntosh), Gender, Culture and Religion: Tackling Some Difficult Questions, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
Chapters in Books:
- “What Does It Mean for Speech to be Offensive?” in Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
- “What Now for the Ethics of Debate?” in Deal With It: Free Speech, Ethics and the Law in Canada, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2012)
Reports and Articles:
- Editor/Co-Author (with Janet Keeping), Toward Equal Opportunity for all Albertans: Recommendations for Improvement of the Alberta Human Rights Commission, Sheldon Chumir Foundation (2009)
- Co-Author (with Janet Keeping), “Global Citizenship: What Is It, and What Are Our Ethical Obligations as Global Citizens?”, LawNow (July/Aug 2008)
- Written and oral presentation to the Select Special Conflicts of Interest Act Review Committee of the Alberta Legislature (June 2013)
- “Should Racist and Homophobic Speech be Prohibited by Human Rights Laws?”, Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies Conference (June 2011)
- “Recommended Changes to s.3 of the Alberta Human Rights Act,” Alberta Press Council (June 2009)
- “Freedom of Expression in Canada: Offensive Speech and the Limits of Tolerance,” Kwantlen Polytechnic University (March 2009)
- “The Ethics of ‘Reasonable Accommodation’ in the Post-Secondary Context,” University of Calgary (March 2009)
- Scott Venturo LLP Scholarship in Insurance Law (Calgary, 2017)
- Billington/Baker Cup – Most Outstanding Speaker, Blackstone Medals Debate (Calgary, 2017)
- Blackstone Debate Medal (Calgary, 2017)
- Louise McKinney Scholarship (Calgary, 2016)
- W. Bernie Kelly, Q.C. Memorial Prize (Calgary, 2016)