Walter Pavlic helps medium and large businesses with their labour relations and employment matters.
Walter Pavlic, Q.C. helps organizations with all aspects of their employment and labour relations matters. He is experienced in collective bargaining, arbitrations, human rights complaints, employment contracts, discipline issues, dismissal planning, wrongful dismissal litigation, non-competition actions, employee fraud and recovery as well as Labour Relations Board hearings. He is a member of the board of directors of the Law Society of Alberta and past president of the Canadian Bar Association – Alberta Branch.
He routinely appears before administrative boards and arbitration panels, and has appeared before all levels of Alberta courts as well as the Federal Court of Canada.
Walter is a frequent speaker at provincial, national and international seminars and conferences.
- Law Society of Alberta Board of Directors (Bencher) (2016-present)
- Past President, Alberta Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Director, Legal Education Society of Alberta
- Past Director, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Alberta Council Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Former Member, Conduct Committee, Law Society of Alberta
- Chair, Habitat for Humanity Judicial Build
- Former Member, Federal Judicial Advisory Committee
- Former Member, Provincial Court Nominating Committee
- Former Member, Steering Committee, American Law Firm Association’s Labour and Employment Practice Group
- Past National and Provincial Chair, Labour and Employment Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Past President, Edmonton Bar Association
- Past Chair, Boyle Street Co-op Community Services
- Presenter, “Effective Anti-Harassment Programs and Investigations for the Construction Site,” Western Construction Labour Relations Forum (Edmonton, November 2018)
- Presenter “Weed in the Workplace: Are You Ready?” MLT Aikins Labour & Employment Seminar (Edmonton, October 2018)
- Presenter, “Legal Considerations Impacting Succession for Non-Profit Organizations,” MLT Aikins Labour & Employment Seminar (Edmonton, September 2018)
- Speaker, Calgary Labour Arbitration Conference, Lancaster House (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015)
- Chair, “Employment Law Update,” Legal Education Society of Alberta (2012)
- “Cross-Canada Employment Law Check-Up,” Canadian Association of Counsel for Employers (2011)
- “Alberta Employment Law Update,” Canadian Association of Counsel for Employers (2009, 2011, 2014)
- Speaker, Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies National Conference (2011)
- Session Chair, “Employment Law,” Legal Education Society of Alberta 43rd Annual Refresher Course (2010)
- “Workplace Law Update 2010,” Red Deer Chamber of Commerce (2010)
- “Managing Terminations and Layoffs,” Western Canada Employee Terminations and Restructuring Conference, Insight (2009)
- “Business Law Boot Camp – Labour and Employment Law,” Legal Education Society of Alberta (2009)
- Panellist, International Employment Law Client Seminar, American Law Firm Association
- One of Canada’s Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Employment Law (Management), Workplace Human Rights (Management)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – “BV” Peer Review Rated
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel (2005)