Wills, Trusts & Estates Litigation
Our practice group works to resolve contentious matters relating to wills, trusts, the administration of estates, power of attorney use and guardianships. We are able to provide effective guidance and, where appropriate, skilled counsel abilities to negotiate, mediate, arbitrate or litigate the matter.
How We Can Help You
Each dispute is unique, but we can help you with any of these issues:
- The legal capacity of the testator to have made the will
- Situations in which an individual dies intestate (without a will)
- Whether or not adequate provision has been made for dependents
- The nature of the gifts or bequests intended
- Suspicions of undue influence or fraud in the making of the will
- Bias or unfair dealings on the part of the executor
- The appointment and/or removal of an administrator
- The validity of trusts or their execution
- Actions taken under a power of attorney
You Can Trust Our Experience
Our commitment to understanding and achievement in the field of wills and estates litigation is unparalleled in Western Canada. Members of our team have been recognized in the category of Trusts and Estates by Best Lawyers in Canada. We also regularly present on trust and estate litigation, providing ongoing education for other lawyers, and post timely updates on the law at our Estates Law Adviser newsletter.
We have been involved in some of the most complex estate litigation in Western Canada. For example, we successfully represented the defendants in a complex estate and trust action complicated by commercial matters including shareholder oppression claims in Alberta, resulting in all claims being dismissed after a six-week trial. We’ve also been successful on the straight forward files. We have and currently act as counsel to multiple individuals and corporations in wills and estates cases, including abuse of power of attorney and challenges to the validity of wills.